PDA

View Full Version : Moccasin Flower (aka Stemless Lady's Slipper) detail.

Daniel Cadieux
06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Same flower as the ultra close-up I posted the other day, but this time with a little more recognizable parts. Man, these wild orchids are so pretty and th epossibilities were seemingly endless with all the curves, colours and shapes. Next time I'll have to be careful not to clip one of those curves (left edge):S3:

Canon 7D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens @59mm + 36mm extention tube, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/250s., f/4.5, ISO 800, -1.3 EC, natural light, handheld, full-frame.

Brendan Dozier
06-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Wonderful and interesting detail on this capture, Daniel. Like the soft light, colors, fine detail shallow dof, and vertical frame works well. The lower pink area provides a good base to the structure above. Think you are right about the left side, and the brownish area of BG in URC is a bit distracting, but very nicely done. :S3:

Jay Sheinfield
06-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Nice. Great DOF effect, highlighting the row or hair-like thingees. I first saw this, looks like a nose!:S3:
maybe some sharpening of the hairs in the URC, if it were mine, and tone and blend in that brown in the URC.

Jerry van Dijk
06-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi Daniel, very nice closeup of the orchid. Lovely play of colors and lines as you say. I do wish for a little more DOF, getting a little more focus on the center of the image. But judging from your settings, stopping down wasn't really an option.

Roman Kurywczak
06-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Hey Daniel,
Good self assesment on the left edge. I do think you could have HH at 1/100 or even 1/60 if it wasn't windy to allow yourself some DOF braketing space. This will let you judge which DOF worked out best. It is tough HH when doing such comps.....so going a bit wider......not much....and cropping down is the easiest option. This also allows you to rotate an image when HH isn't absolutely perfect. Just some things to keep in mind for out in the field but overall......this is stilll nicely done!

Steve Maxson
06-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi Daniel. Yup, this looks like a fuzzy nose. :t3 I agree that a bit more room on the left would help. Nice detail within your DOF and I like the natural light. I might wish that you had more DOF on the bottom portion of the green "nose" - but not so much that it brought up detail in the nicely blurred background. This can be tricky when hand holding. Overall, this is nicely done and good job of showing us the possibilities beyond the traditional flower shot.

Daniel Cadieux
06-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys for the comments and advice, much appreciated!:S3: