PDA

View Full Version : Bugs and Flowers

jack williamson
06-09-2011, 04:22 PM
This is in a small field in front of my house that I plant for the deer in the fall. It is now

with wild summer growth. I want to get good at this macro thing and I appreciate your

comments.

Nikon D700, 105mm micro f2.8, tripod, timer. 1/30, f13, iso200. Cropped to about 50%.

Some adjustments in acr, usm in cs3

Mitch Haimov
06-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Nicely done, Jack. The crop works well. The highest bug is very interesting and posed perfectly. If I could change one thing in this image it would be to chase the other bug from up top.

Brendan Dozier
06-10-2011, 10:43 AM
I agree, Jack, this is very nicely done! Like the angle, composition, vertical crop, and bugs are a nice touch and add interest. Great as is, but tempted to also try cloning/cropping out bud on Rt.

Jay Sheinfield
06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
I like it just as it is.....................nice colors and DOF, framing is wonderful!

Jerry van Dijk
06-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi Jack, I like the busy bugs, the great colors of the flowers and your composition with the second flower in the BG. My main points of critique are that the colors look a little washed out, that there is to much empty space on top and too little at the left. I also agree with Brian that the bud on the right is a little distracting. There is another bud right behind the bugs that is a bit distracting. A little lower angle would have taken care of that. A few tweaks would get this over the top and I couldn't resist having a go at it. I increased the saturation just a little bit, added a little contrast, cropped from the top and right, added canvas to the left and cloned out the bud on the left. See how you like it.

Roman Kurywczak
06-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Hey Jack,
You were pushing your luck outdoors at 1/30 sec if it wan't dead still. with the D700 you should have been able to allow a bit more ISO to keep the SS up. In this case I feel the DOF you chose was appropriate.....but I will offer a few more tweak suggestions. I like the direction Jerry took the colors. Looking at the OP comp wise.....I would add a hair more room on the R to not clip that bud. If you are OK with such things.....I would clone/patch the 3 stems below the bloom as well as the 2 little green tips poking up from bottom of the frame. I would also try to eliminate the larger diagonal stem on the LRC. If you don't do that kind of manipulation......only repositioning yourself in the field would have allowed you to achieve that. When working in the field it is a good idea to keep a couple of spring loaded clothespins handy to keep stray stalks or grasses out of the image. A safe way to not ruin anything yet get it out of the way! Hope this gives you a few ideas for next time out in the field.

jack williamson
06-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks Mitch, Brendan, and Jay. Jerry the repost looks great especially the comp. I reduced exposure

just a bit in acr because the yellows were blown a bit and I got back some detail. Although the brightness

looks better in your repost, detail once again is gone from the petals. Thank you for your time. Roman

I always appreciate your input.

Jack

Steve Maxson
06-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Hi Jack. This is a very cool combo of insects and flowers. The one weevil is giving you a great pose. I like what Jerry has done with the repost and Roman's additional tweaks will make this a very strong image. Well done.