PDA

View Full Version : RSH week 4

daniel valovich
06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
RSH week 4
There is about a week difference between the two. The baby on the right is the youngest. I have documented this family since the nest was being built.
From fluff balls to flying in 5 weeks. Now they scream all day learning to hunt and fly
nikon d300
nikon 300mm f-4
1.4 TC
iso 400
f 7.1
1/125s
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cJBLNPK-IPY/TfEGwxRNpVI/AAAAAAAAHr8/UgYPwgvMQJw/s800/rsh4%2525200435.jpg

Randy Stout
06-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Daniel:
I like the intense eye contact here, seeing the difference between the two birds based on age.

The image quality is somewhat soft. This is normally a pretty sharp combination of equipment.

Could you elaborate on what type of post processing you did, how big of a crop?

Perhaps post the original unprocessed image for us to see what you started with.

Cheers

Randy

daniel valovich
06-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Daniel:
I like the intense eye contact here, seeing the difference between the two birds based on age.

The image quality is somewhat soft. This is normally a pretty sharp combination of equipment.

Could you elaborate on what type of post processing you did, how big of a crop?

Perhaps post the original unprocessed image for us to see what you started with.

Cheers

Randy

I did post processing in cs5.
I know that the distance and light conditions causing slow shutter speeds aren't in my favor but I couldn't get much closer. Windy conditions didn't help either
I was using a bogen 3221 tripod that I realized while trying to figure out why I can't get sharp photos that it's a peice of crap because of the vibration it was causing.I have ordered a new tripod, A berlebech 3032
I need your advice to verify what I suspect.
Here is the original image

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AV9ei72MLfs/TfH5OffH0YI/AAAAAAAAHss/tYSfmWorYGg/s800/_DJV0435.jpg

Randy Stout
06-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Daniel:

Thanks for posting the original. That really helps a lot to understand the image.

The original is underexposed significantly. This caused issues with having to increase the exposure in post, which usually introduces noise, which we tend to take care of with noise reduction software, which can then cause softness in the image. The bright sky fooled the meter here, under exposing the darker areas that you were interested in.

This is a very large crop, and even the best of technique and gear would have trouble with keeping the image quality high. Throw in a suspect tripod and the underexposure, and it is a challenge.

Thanks so much for posting, keep working on it, lots of great resources here on BPN!

Cheers

Randy

daniel valovich
06-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Thank You Randy!