PDA

View Full Version : Predaceous Diving Beetle larva

Steve Maxson
06-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Another view of the Predaceous Diving Beetle larva (Dytiscus spp.) - breathing at the water surface. Both larvae and adults are air breathers. The lavae have a breathing tube in the tip of the abdomen and the 2 fringed "tails" seem to bond with the surface tension of the water and help hold the breathing tube at the surface. Every few minutes the larvae will return to the surface to breathe. Likely because of this breathing method, the larvae's typical posture is to have its abdomen elevated (as in my previous post). Usually these larvae are lurking amongst the aquatic vegetation - I wanted this image to look more like a studio shot. 5D 2, 100 mm macro, 1/100, f/22, ISO 100, MT-24EX macro twin flash (diffused), tripod, cable release. I removed several hundred tiny bits of debris from the water (virtually none of which are visible until the flash fires) and ran nr on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Mitch Haimov
06-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Another winner, Steve. A tad tight for me on the left (would like 50-100% more space between the foot and the frame edge), but a minor point and easily fixed with that BG even if you don't have the canvas in the original. Very cool eye. I like that you captured the breathing behavior. I do prefer the image you posted a couple days ago (prolly my favorite of all your aquarium images).

Brendan Dozier
06-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Very cool looking dude, a like the pose you captured, Steve. Like the glow to it, and how it seems to hang by its tail off the water surface tension. Maybe just a sliver more on top and on left, but very well done!

Jerry van Dijk
06-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Lovely behavioral image Steve! I would have positioned the larva a little more to the right, leaving less empty space on the right and a little more room on the left.
Just a thought: would it be possible to make an image with the breathing tubes above the water level included?

Roman Kurywczak
06-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Hey Steve,
Yeah.....I too would have preferred the entire tube above. See.....you're spoiling us! Love the position of the critter.....just want the tube and above water a bit more.

Steve Maxson
06-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the comments folks!

I do have room to add on the right so that's an easy adjustment. There is a bit more room at the top but I'm looking slightly up at this guy in order to get the reflection off the surface so adding more at the top just adds more reflection (unless I was to change the orientation of the camera). What you can't tell from the photo is that the breathing tube (spiracle) does not extend above the surface (like it does for a water scorpion, for example), but is just at the water surface. So, what you are seeing here is the entire insect. - Hope this makes sense. :S3:

Jerry van Dijk
06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Hey Steve, thanks for the additional info. Always learning new things!

RakeshDhareshwar
06-13-2011, 04:29 AM
A very difficult shot to pull off . Extremely well done . The clarity is mind boggling .