PDA

View Full Version : 500mm lens related questions

Karren Kraemer
06-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I am new to the forum, and learned from reading everyone's past posts-great info-thanks!!
I am going to Tanzania to shoot wildlife w/Mark II. Am probably going to buy the Canon 500mm lens & use it on a beanbag while on safari. My questions:
1. Is the case the lens comes in sufficient protection for the 500mm in airplanes and on
bumpy safari roads, or is there something else that would be better?
2.From what I read, I think people were saying that one can mount the 500mm directly on
a Wimberly and skip the ball head. I have never used a Wimberly, but this idea is
appealing to me, to reduce the weight I need to carry. Am I correct on this, or is it
better to get both a ball head and Wimberly?
3. Do you think the old Bogen 3021 tripod is sturdy enough for the 500mm?
Any advice greatly appreciated!

David Stephens
06-09-2011, 10:40 AM
I own the 500mmf/4 IS and love it, but you might also want to consider the 300mm/f2.8 for shooting from in Africa from a vehicle. With a MkII, you can use the 300/f2.8 with the 1.4x and 2.0x TCs and get stunning results.

I hand hold my 500mm/f4 most of the time, but most women find the 300mm/f2.8 much easier to handle. One of my Flickr-friends does most of her shooting with a 300mm, with and without a TC and gets excellent bird shots in Southern California. See her photostream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pware/ Roger Clark from this forum will almost certainly tell you about his great results with the 300mm on safari (he owns the 500mm also, but choses the 300mm for these uses).

The case that either the 300mm/f2.8 or the 500mm/f4 is very sturdy, BUT you'll probably want to invest in a carry-on sized roller bag to keep your equipment with you. Get one that meets Euro carry-on restrictions. I use a ThinkTank roller bag to carry two bodies, my 500/f4, a 70-200mm f/4, a 24-105mm f/4 and accessories, like flash, TCs and ETs. With a 300mm you might travel even lighter and more compact.

I use the Wimberley Sidekick with my Arca-Swiss Z1 ballhead, when I need a tripod for my 500mm/f4. I only use it for slow shutter speeds in the deep woods usually. I find that hand holding give me a much higher "keeper-rate" that using the tripod. You need a very sturdy ballhead for the Sidekick, so, if you don't already own such a ballhead, the expense of a Sidekick is comparable to the full Wimberley. Of course, I think that everyone should own a high quality ballhead, but if you don't use one for scenics, night photography or other uses, then it may be a waste for you.

You can Search this forum to find much discussion of the pros and cons of the full Wimberley vs. the Sidekick and a couple of other competing gimbals. Keep in mind that you'll not be able to manage a tripod in the vehicles of a safari. There may be purposes where it'll be suited on your trip, but you may want to leave it home on a safari. Bean bags are good, but you should be able to hand hold a 300mm/f2.8 IS.

You need some long-lens practice before you go on a bucket-list trip, so try to get your new lens in time for plenty of local practice. You'll get better and better with practice and real world experience.

I don't know the Bogen 3021, so I can't comment on its suitability for a 500mm/f4.

Happy hunting.

Michael_Loizou
06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Another lens to consider is the new Sigma 120-300mm OS. Works great with the 1.4x and 2x tele-converters to cover you up to 600mm and is also a zoom, helpful for larger animals you might encounter.

Karren Kraemer
06-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the input, maybe I will rent a 300 f/2.8 and see what I get, but I think I am really interested in the 500 mm. The reason:
I rented a Canon 600mm in La Jolla, for the pelicans & loved the shots I got, but felt it was a bit much to haul around. However, the images were so sharp & clear, plus I love, love, love the bokeh, which is why I am now looking at the 500 mm. That is the type of images I now seek. Plus I would use it a lot in Bosque, Wyo., and even here in S Cal.
Last time in Africa I took the 300 f/4, 70-200 2.8 & 24-105. Mostly used the 300, got some great images, but cropped a lot!! Another reason I am considering the 500 now.
Again, thanks for your input-really appreciate you taking the time to help!!

Doug Schurman
06-09-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm sure have two bodies one with a 500 and the other with the 70-200 would be a great combo. One thing that might help others with advice is to know where you are going in Africa. I have only been to the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. Animals were at times very far away. My understanding is that some places you can get a lot closer to the animals.

David Stephens
06-09-2011, 04:25 PM
For a woman, in particular, waiting to buy the series II 500mm or 600mm may make a lot of sense. The 500mm will be a full pound lighter than the Series I with much improved IS. For the 600mm the weight difference will be even larger. If you can avoid it, not always being tethered to a tripod is a very good thing. Of course, there's a pretty large cost trade-off to consider and a wait that'll probably extend into 2012.

I handhold the Series I 500mm for most of my shots and you may be able to do the same, but I know men that think it's too much for them to handle by hand. Getting a lens that you can hand hold will increase your keeper ratio for birds in flight. BIF are probably not the subjects of your safari, but around La Jolla and Bosque you could shoot a lot of BIF.

jeffdjohnston
06-09-2011, 09:44 PM
I am new to the forum, and learned from reading everyone's past posts-great info-thanks!!
3. Do you think the old Bogen 3021 tripod is sturdy enough for the 500mm?
Any advice greatly appreciated!

Karen,

I own the 500mm and have owned the 3021. While the 3021 was useable, it was not as steady as I would have liked. Personally, I have been more satisfied with the larger gitzo aluminum and carbon fiber tripods.

I certainly enjoy using the 500mm and its output can be stunning. I have no experience shooting the 300mm/2.8; but if you decide to investigate it as an alternative, you might consider reading the post by D. Robert Franz about its performance with the new 2X III converter by Canon posted elsewhere on this site.

I believe you can read it here:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/82488-Canon-EF-2X-MKIII?highlight=franz

Whichever lens you choose, I would second the recommendation that you become thoroughly experienced with it prior to making your trip.

Best of Luck,

Jeff Johnston
http://jdjohnston1960.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Select

Karen Hunt
06-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Hi, Karren,

I have been to Tanzania once and am going again this year because it was so wonderful.

On the photography tour I was on, the vehicles were enclosed, with the ability to shoot out the open roof or out windows (ie, these aren't open cars like they use in Botswana.) From what I've seen (and what I did), the 2 most popular ways to support your lens (and I would go with the 500mm, but also bring a shorter lens, like a 70-200mm) is either with a Todd-pod or a bean bag.

What I did with the bean bag was put the 500mm lens on a panning ground pod, which helps tremendously in being able to maneuver the lens. I purchased the ground pod and my BLUBB beanbag from Art Morris' store: https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=16

As for the Todd-pod, this is designed to support big lenses on the roof of safari vehicles. You put your Wimberley head (or sidekick) on the Todd-pod, then shoot from that. I bought one, but it ended up being a bit too heavy (with the camera, lens, and Wimberley) for me to keep lifting; just a personal thing--everyone else on the tour found it to be the most useful piece of equipment for the trip. The site for that device is here: http://www.gustafsonphotosafari.net/?page_id=43

As an aside, I used my tripod only once or maybe twice around the lodge grounds, but not enough for me to bring a tripod this second time around. I may take a monopod, though, just in case.

Have a great trip!

Karen Hunt

Karren Kraemer
06-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks to each of you who responded!! I have followed up on every suggestion and model mentioned to see how it might work in my situation.:bg3: You all are so awesome to take your time to share your experience!

David-thanks for all of your suggestions, especailly the roller bag. I was going to take my Think Tank backpack bag and the Canon case for the 500 mm, but am now looking at roller bags that meet the Euro carry-on specs. Good suggestion on the ball head too. I do own one, along with a Gitzo traveler tripod, but all too lightweight for the 500mm. Wish the 500 IS II would be available in the next month, but doesn't look like it...so will probably have to purchase prior model, which is still great-just not as light and lacks the IS II. Have read everyones thoughts on the full Wimberly vs. Sidekick, and am leaning toward Sidekick and Swiss Arca head.

Jeff-thanks re Bogen 3021. I will get a new Gitzo for lighter weight (CF) & stability for the 500, but will leave it home when I go to Africa.

Karen-Thanks! I have researched both of your suggestions re: mounts. Think I will go with the same set-up you did, although they are currently out of stock (panning ground pod). You set it on the beanbag-right? Was the roof of your vehicle canvas? (ours is-it rolls back) If so, was there any play or was it pretty solid, with the beanbag? Last trip to Africa was in Bots, Zambia & S Africa, in an open vehicle. At times I was able to use a beanbag, but mostly handheld. Max lens was 300f/4 so it really wasn't a problem. I agree with you, this time in Tanzania will be w/ a 500 mm. Did you use the BLUBB beanbag to shoot out of the window at all? If so, how did that work? Have a great time on your trip too-maybe I will see you there!

Karen Hunt
06-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi, Karren,

Our vehicles also had roll-back canvas, but it was almost always rolled back. There is a frame that goes around the top of the vehicle (above the windows); that space was about 4 inches wide. There also was a bit of a depression, so the BLUBB kinda slid into it and stayed there--I never had it bounce out when we were traveling. This also meant that it took a firm yank to get it out and move it to the other side of the truck if needed.

What I did was leave the BLUBB on the roof. Because I had the panning pod on the 500mm lens, I could also set that on flat surfaces (or angle it on the window ledge and my bag, which was below the window) for a bit of support. You certainly could use the beanbag in the windows, though.

As for bags, I'll put in my 2 cents here, too. The ThinkTank Airport International is the right size for a 500mm lens, will save your back, and fits international carry-on guidelines. It's a lot heavier than the bag I use, though, which is the Guru Gear Kiboko bag...doesn't have rollers, so it only weighs about 4 lbs. Site is here:

http://www.guragear.com/product.php

Keep me posted on how things go!

Karen Hunt

P.S. Even though the animals can be very close to the vehicles, my best shots were all with the 500mm lens!

Roger Clark
06-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Karen.

I have been to Tanzania several times on private tours. I have taken 500 f/4 + 1DII but on my trip this last February, 1DIV and 300 f/2.8. With the 500 f/4 I used a fill wimberly and todd-pod from the top of the vehicle. Action was so intense on my trips it got very tiring lifting the system to the roof. That also meant I lost some shots because I could not react fast enough with the weight, especially after fatigued. This year I returned with a 1D4 and 300 f/2.8 and only used beanbags, mostly from the windows. I good pair of knee pads were important gear. The 1D4 with the smaller pixels gets as much detail on a subject with a 300 (+TCs) as a 500 and 1D2 +TCs. All my future trips wiil be with 1D4 class and 300 f/3.8. The lighter weight and ability to respond faster meant some of my best images so far (only a few are up on my web site). Now if you really want small birds, then the 500 f/4 and 1d4 would be better.

On your other questions, the 3012 is OK, but vibrates too much. A carbon fiber is really needed with super telephotos.

Total the weight of whatever system you choose, then practice for about 4 hours at a time lifting it to shoulder height then aiming the system to track a mythical subject.

Roger

Karren Kraemer
06-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks Roger, for your input. It really gives me reason to think it all through carefully. Decisions, decisions...