PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane on Nest.

Karl Egressy
06-08-2011, 09:48 AM
I was lucky that I was there when the adult was turning the egg.
I just set up, looked up and started shooting.
I was so much into shooting, that I forgot to let my wife know.
By the time she got the the little window in the foliage and set up, it was too late.
I went back for her sake a couple of times, but it just never happened again.
Thanks for looking.

Full Frame
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/400
Av 11.0
Spot Metering
ISO 800
EF500mm f/4L IS USM +2.0x
Focal Length 1000.0mm

Marina Scarr
06-08-2011, 10:10 AM
What a treat it must have been to witness this SHC nest. I think you may have been better served at F8. That may have helped lessen the impact of your BG a tad and given more focus to your subject. I would like to see a bit more room on the bottom if you have it to see a little more of the nest. Your bird is well exposed and colors look good. This is a nice environmental shot.

I found when photographing 3 SHC nest this past season that they usually got up approximately every 45 mins to turn eggs. Grabbed my camera each time! Sorry your wife missed the experience of seeing that.

arash_hazeghi
06-08-2011, 11:35 AM
nice settings Karl, the bird is a bit lost in the BG but at the same time it shows the habitat too

Karl Egressy
06-08-2011, 11:43 AM
What a treat it must have been to witness this SHC nest. I think you may have been better served at F8. That may have helped lessen the impact of your BG a tad and given more focus to your subject. I would like to see a bit more room on the bottom if you have it to see a little more of the nest. Your bird is well exposed and colors look good. This is a nice environmental shot.

I found when photographing 3 SHC nest this past season that they usually got up approximately every 45 mins to turn eggs. Grabbed my camera each time! Sorry your wife missed the experience of seeing that.

Thanks Marina. I don't know if it is true since I use the 2x Canon extender very rarely maybe 0.01 percent of the time.
It was stated that you have to have the aperture set two steps smaller, in order to maintain good image quality while using a 2x extender. It means to swich it from f8.0 to f11.
I do it on the 300 f2.8 as well which results in f 8.0.
It would be nice to clarify the aforementioned statement for future reference.

Arthur Morris
06-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I wish only for a clear view of the egg. FWIW, f/8 to f/11 is just one stop, not two. FW else IW, I used the 500 with the 2X for about 40% of my images and used it wide open 80% of the time without any ill effects.... I would not hesitate to use it often and wide open with a 300 f/2.8. All in all don't believe everything that you read on the internet (unless I wrote it). :)

gail bisson
06-08-2011, 05:29 PM
. All in all don't believe everything that you read on the internet (unless I wrote it). :)
Artie- you crack me up!:S3:
Karl, I didn't like this picture when I saw the thumbnail but it has grown on me as I really looked at it. I love the bird and the composition and the environment but I do find the reeds a bit strong but I can live with it. I think you should go back to the nest and try it at F 5.6!( and take me with you!!
gail

Karl Egressy
06-08-2011, 05:40 PM
I wish only for a clear view of the egg. FWIW, f/8 to f/11 is just one stop, not two. FW else IW, I used the 500 with the 2X for about 40% of my images and used it wide open 80% of the time without any ill effects.... I would not hesitate to use it often and wide open with a 300 f/2.8. All in all don't believe everything that you read on the internet (unless I wrote it). :)

Thanks Artie for the clarification regarding 2x extender use and the related settings.
"All in all don't believe everything that you read on the internet (unless I wrote it)."
I like you sense of humor, and you are right. That's why I like to ask the experts.

Karl Egressy
06-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Karl, I didn't like this picture when I saw the thumbnail but it has grown on me as I really looked at it. I love the bird and the composition and the environment but I do find the reeds a bit strong but I can live with it. I think you should go back to the nest and try it at F 5.6!( and take me with you!!
gail
Thanks Gail.
I would Gail. Unfortunately, or fortunately they are nowhere to be found anymore.
The marsh is big and the picture was taken about six weeks ago.

Arthur Morris
06-08-2011, 06:33 PM

That's the plan. Lots of cranes with chicks in central FL.