PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Wild Stallion

Bob Decker
06-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Lions and tigers and bears, OH MY! It's almost intimidating to post an image here amongst all these lovely images of such exotic (to me anyway) beasts!

Here's a shot of a wild stallion on the tidal flats along the North Carolina coast. This fellow had just had a bit of a fight with another stallion and is now chasing his foe away. The image was shot from a gently ground kayak, hand held, with a Canon 40D and Sigma 50-500mm.

Harshad Barve
06-08-2011, 08:18 AM
excellent running pose in nicely composed image
TFS

Hilary Hann
06-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Good attitude shown by the stallion and I like the splashing water and mud. Good pov and nice that the horizon is under the belly. Do you have any of the fight itself? That would also be interesting.

Dumay de Boulle
06-09-2011, 04:55 AM
Love the shooting angle and the moment is beautifully captured...What a fine looking animal! I would maybe just sharpen a touch more! Lovely stuff Bob:S3:

Steve Kaluski
06-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Hey Bob, you should never feel intimidated, just post your images. :S3:

Firstly is this full frame, although I guess it is. Personally I would like to have had a bit more below, perhaps another half inch of image, as I feel it's all a little too close to the bottom. Having movement, the raised front leg and water splashes all add to the interest/drama of the image. I would also perhaps look at the colour, as overall it does seem a bit flat to me and certainly as Dumay has suggested, add a bit more select sharpening the the horse.

Look forward to more.

TFS
Steve

Pieter de Waal
06-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Hi Bob, love the action, pose and composition. Nice BG horison but agree with a little more room below. TFS.

Morkel Erasmus
06-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I love wild horses Bob...partly because we don't have them close by (some in Namibia though) and partly because of the "lost frontier" spirit they evoke from watching too many westerns with my dad as a boy. :bg3:

Love the action and light here. I agree with Steve & Dumay on more space needed below, and some contrast and sharpening to make the horse "pop" more...please post more! :w3

Bob Decker
06-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks everyone. Greatly appreciated.

Do you have any of the fight itself? That would also be interesting.

I do Hilary. I'll do a post of one for you.