PDA

View Full Version : My life is on the rocks

Richard Unsworth
06-08-2011, 08:01 AM
:S3:

so says this Spotted Sandpiper.

Nearly did myself a mischief chasing him around the slippery rocks

Taken on Playa Exclusiva, Contadora Island; particularly like the foot
crop about 25 % canvas away from image; he was very close indeed.
Burned the sparkly bits a touch. Other than that very light NR, S&H and USM

1/1000
eV -.67
iso 800
F 8
40D and 100-400 +TC - no time to lose it:e3

Robert Amoruso
06-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Richard,

Glad you did not get hurt. Really a pretty looking bird. The strong light from the right has created a distracting shadow on the head and body. This could have worked if the light was from the left. The specular highlights on the rocks are distracting as well - if you are OK with it, they can be cloned out.

Raised foot is nice. Head angle more away from you a small bit to get beak sharp would have been nice.

Seems critical focus is on the body and not the head/eye.

Richard Unsworth
06-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Hi

Thanks Robert

Took out SH and ran blur - interesting 3 D ish effect?

SS on head/bill

defo looks better though ....was taken in the evening with the sun to the right, with the bird running from the ocean L to R no way to get the right side on them rocks:e3

Marina Scarr
06-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Rocks on repost look much more pleasing although I detect a few spots around the bird's upper legs which are a bit obvious when compared with the rest. I very much like the raised foot. Would have liked a slightly better sun angle on the bird to help with shadow issues.

Awfully glad you didn't hurt yourself chasing this bird! The rocks look treacherous.

PS: I really like your title!

gail bisson
06-08-2011, 05:36 PM
I like the repost. The raised leg is great. Head looks a bit soft. I love the rocks and the texture. Definetely a keeper!
gail

Richard Unsworth
06-09-2011, 01:45 AM

Aye slippery rocks and snakes in the jungle - - been on my butt a few times, the best was on a beach in Portugal when I walked into a 4 ft deep sandhole lol

I noticed I need to do a bit more PS ; yep missed a bit around top of legs and tail area needs attn

Focus - I agree need to be so careful but with the bird doing 10 mph and stopping abruptly, it sure aint easy

christopher galeski
06-09-2011, 05:27 AM
repost is better Richard,I would lighten the eye abit,if it was mine,their was one of these birds at Brockholes nature res preston a few days ago.thanks.

Richard Unsworth
06-09-2011, 05:56 AM

Hi Chris

OK did some more specular cleanup and dodged the eye a little