PDA

View Full Version : Azure-winged magpie (Cyanopica cyana)

Juan Aragonés
03-27-2008, 10:11 AM
This species is not easy to photograph if you are not inside a blind because, like all the corvid species, they are very intellingent. Anyway, in some places they are used to the presence of people and have lost their natural shy. I photographed this pair of azure winged magpie (Cyanopica cyana) in one of such places. I was having my lunch near at one of the parkings of Doņana National Park (Huelva, Spain) while a group of this beautiful birds were waiting in the trees for some free meal so I decided to put some pieces of bread in a nearby perch in order to look what it happen and you can imagine the rest... lots of azure-winged magpies at very close distance and a lot of fun.

Nikon D2X AFS Nikkor 300VR+1,4XTC handheld, slight cropping for a better composition and some cloning job on the lower part of the wood to remove several bread pieces.

Gus Cobos
03-27-2008, 10:39 AM
I like it Juan,
The colors and action are great, love the composition and background...:D

Sid Overbey
03-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Juan, a very nice photo. I particularly like the action of the second bird. Colors are nicely muted as well.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Great perch, action, details and BG. Maybe a tad more space at the right if you have.

Fabs Forns
03-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Wow, great palette of colors and action. Agree on more space at the right.

John Chardine
03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I was in Lisbon last week and I tried to see this species on a field trip but no luck. Your beautiful image is the next best thing!

Valerio Tarone
04-01-2008, 02:45 PM
I know the bird is difficult and very shy since so told me Rita Ochetti-Gioannini who had been in Estremadura,Andalusia. A perfect shot!