PDA

View Full Version : Egret at Sunset

Craig Brelsford
06-08-2011, 01:04 AM
The dying sun bleeds through the treetops as a great white egret alights on a bare branch. I was at the Elephant Hill rookery in Jiangxi, China last month.

Device: Nikon D3S
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal Length: 600mm
Aperture: F/4
Shutter Speed: 1/1250
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: none
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200
Subject Distance: 63.1 m
Photoshoppery: I wanted to tell a simple story of fiery sky, burning bush, perch, and egret. I therefore content-aware-filled a stump sticking up to the right of the main perch. Because of the uniformity of the BG, the result was nearly seamless. I removed other, smaller odd-looking branches. I tweaked the contrast and saturation to ensure that (1) any color was out of the bird and (2) the resulting color balance was as close as possible to the way it was that evening. I'm using about three-fourths of the original frame. I suppose I could have cooled the hot spots in the tree more, but the fact is that at that moment those spots were too bright for the eyes; why, therefore, misrepresent that harsh glare?

Harshad Barve
06-08-2011, 01:26 AM
This is lovely image with nice landing pose and colors , If mine I would go like this
TFS

Quick re-post so you can see some cloning patches

Craig Brelsford
06-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Harshad, hello, and thanks. I processed this shot in several ways, including your way. It's definitely a compelling image without the fiery treetop. But it's also a different image, telling a slightly different story. I wanted to show that sun oozing through the tree.

Troy Lim
06-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Both shots are great either way IMO.
I love silhouette shots. TFS.

Robert Amoruso
06-08-2011, 08:09 AM
I like how you processed this image as well as the info on the modifications to it - nice work. I believe I prefer it with the backlite tree. This is my kind of image. Great wing position, outstretched feet and perch in sight. Nice work capturing the action.

Marina Scarr
06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Although I like both versions, I feel the OP has more interest and tells more of a story. Love the colors, the outstretched legs and wings. You have a winner here.

Steve Bein
06-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Great shot, both versions have their individual charm.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Craig, you nailed the bird angle here. What I like a lot here are the two twigs on top part of the landing perch. The sun does work. I think it will also work as vertical without the sun and those treetops.

If mine, I'd clone the blue patch on the far wing with pure black.

Craig Brelsford
06-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Craig, you nailed the bird angle here. What I like a lot here are the two twigs on top part of the landing perch. The sun does work. I think it will also work as vertical without the sun and those treetops.

If mine, I'd clone the blue patch on the far wing with pure black.

Wow, you picked up that bit of blue on the wing. You're right about the vertical, Kaus. I've found that the better the shot, the more choices one has in presentation. I've cropped this shot about 10 ways, including vertical without the sun. They're all satisfactory.

Here's what Kaus had in mind . . .

Troy Lim
06-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Either way still a winner. Love it!

Stu Bowie
06-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Hi Craig, all three posts work for me, but the vertical takes the nod. Silhouette's against colourful BG's always look great, and agree to darken the blue cast on the far wing.

Craig Brelsford
06-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Stu! Hi, and thanks! You're approaching 10,000 posts.

Neil Nourse
06-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Great Capture Craig !!
I like all the variations that have been posted but IMO the OP is the top...This should look great printed.

TFS Neil

Daniel Cadieux
06-09-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm a big fan of silhouettes! Well done here Craig, and good job with the post-processing. Personally I'm torn on the tree/sun of the OP, but on all versions I love the colours with the subtle gradiant. Super pose by the egret.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Craig, I like the vertical in pane 9 a lot. However, I feel it does need some more room on the left side. That open-arms silhouette of the perch is just awesome.

Humberto Ramos
06-10-2011, 05:21 AM
Amazing silhouette, IMO I the first one is the best, the sun gives it a great impact...