PDA

View Full Version : Dewdrop Dragonfly

Saravana Gurusamy
06-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi all, My very first post here. Hoping to learn a lot from all of you. Please do provide your valuable inputs.

Canon 30D, 100mm Macro Non-IS, Av, f5, 1/400, ISO 800, 0EV, Handheld

http://www.gsaravana.com/images/_MG_57510.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
06-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Welcome to the forum Saravana!!

I would love to encounter an opportunity like this. Awesome water beads (perhaps oversharpened though?), and a lovely BG. I love the lime greens of the eyes and body. Comp-wise you could crop away about half the empty space above, this would strenghten the comp IMO and eliminate the dark blotch in upper right corner. I would also have preferred the extra OOF leaf not be there...would there have been a possibility to physically push it back out of the way before taking the image without spoiling the opportunity?

Dan Brown
06-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Welcome Saravana!! Love this image! I have always wanted to find a dew laden insect of any kind and produce something like this! Daniel comments are good!

bhavya joshi
06-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Welcome Sarvana, Good shot.. water drop looking great. Agree with Above comments. And best luck in future.:S3:

Saravana Gurusamy
06-08-2011, 01:22 AM
Thank you all and Thanks Daniel for the comments. Completely agree with your findings and will work on it. As you mentioned, the OOF leaves were posing major problems with the comp... so I now carry a pocket scissor :S3: just to cut the small portion of those dried winter leaves... Thanks again

Steve Maxson
06-08-2011, 09:34 AM
A big welcome to the Macro forum, Saravana! You're off to a great start with this image! You did a good job getting all of the damselfly within your DOF and I like the background - but all the water droplets really make the image for me. A couple tweaks would make the image even stronger. I would agree with Daniel that your subject may be oversharpened just a little. Also, I don't really mind the OOF second leaf, but I would suggest cloning out the items below it to clean up the LRC. Well done and I hope to see more of your work.

Roman Kurywczak
06-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Hey Saravana,
Welcome to the forum! Very good advice above about the sharpening and possible improvements. I may prefer a bit more room up front if you have it.....but still a very strong first post!

Mitch Haimov
06-08-2011, 09:25 PM
You're off to a great start, Saravana! The dew drops put this one over the top. The colors of the nicely OOF BG go great with your subject.

OvidiuCavasdan
06-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Welcome Saravana!
Great find nicely captured, I like the colors a lot. I dont mind the oof leaf but I find the oof drop on the leaf tip a bit distracting. Still I think this is a very good image and hope to see more of your images.