PDA

View Full Version : the lion and the springbok-prequel

peter delaney
06-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Normally when on safari you can spend hours looking for game as you traverse the land. Dry season in Etosha all you have to do is wait at the waterhole. And thousands of animals come to you.

At this particular waterhole the local lion pride had figured this out. They would keep the animals from drinking by putting themselves between the animals and the water.
The result of 100s of animals standing in 30 degree heat with no shade was the 1 or 2 would collapse from exhaustion , easy meal for the lions.

But from time to time the powerful urge to drink would be so overwhelming that an animal would chance a quick drink if he thought the lions were not paying attention . This image captures one of those moments.

Robert Amoruso
06-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Peter,

Comparing this one to the previous post at http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/84672, I feel that one is better given the lion's outstretched paw.

Hilary Hann
06-06-2011, 11:23 PM
An interesting thing I noticed about this image was the big brown pile of dung (?) on the lhs which I found quite distracting so I wondered about the earlier image because I don't remember it being there. But of course, when looking at the previous image it is still there but it hadn't seemed so obvious. So I think that perhaps the drama in the first scene with the outstretched paw was so mesmerising that other distractions didn't intrude. Although this image is also a fine example of the area and the action, something about the first one took it up that extra level. At least that is how I feel. Both are very fine images. :S3:

Tom Graham
06-07-2011, 12:34 AM
I like both images.
The brown pile. In both images it is large and dark thus making for high contrast and so our eye is distracted towards it. If you're adverse to cloning wildlife images, I'd dodge it lighter to fit in with the general "low" contrast of the image.
Tom

peter delaney
06-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Thanks guys and gals,

Robert, the prequels/sequels are nerve as good as the original/first.:S3:

Tom/Hilary ,the large elephant poo distracts ,I agree , I left in for competition images.
But for the prints I sell to clients I show them a cloned/uncloned version so the choice is theres.. so far they prefer without.. :S3:

Tom Graham
06-07-2011, 02:31 AM
For competition, is not even "dodging" allowed?? Got to be. Else only 35mm film chrome images would be allowed!!!
It can be made much less obtrusive by simple dodging, a time honored technique.
I know dodging will work because I played with it some, eh, no, not the actual p__, but you know, in Photoshop!!!
Problem is, it can be dodged out so nicely that you would be accused of cloning !!!!

Tom

Robert Amoruso
06-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Tom,

Most contests mention adding and removing is not allowed, so any method that accomplishes that would not be allowed.

Peter,

Robert, the prequels/sequels are never as good as the original/first.:S3: I hear yea!:bg3:

Harshad Barve
06-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Peter

How I wish either of these image in my files , Terrific show
TFS

Pieter de Waal
06-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Peter , I agree with Harshad I would like either of these in my files. But like the others prefer the first image, possibly as mentioned the action of the lion with outstretched paw makes more impact.

Morkel Erasmus
06-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Peter, your first image has spoiled us but I would love either one in my portfolio! Your Etosha images really make me long to go there soon...

Awesome action here yet again, with surprising clarity given the distance and dusty conditions. :c3:

Rachel Hollander
06-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Peter - both images are top notch but I agree that the outstretched paw in the other takes it over the top. Your images really make me want to visit Etosha on my next Africa trip. Good luck in the competitions.

TFS,
Rachel