PDA

View Full Version : A Blast of Yellow

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2011, 01:19 PM
This was from a couple of weeks ago when my freind David Willimas of Williams Nursery invited a couple of us over to shoot this large (6inch) Gerbera. If you live in N or central NJ....he's got some of the greatest flowers around!
This was in his studio on the grounds....so I got to use some of his Alien Bee strobes (3) along with the macro twin lights for fire them off. The BG is a mat of moss.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro at f32 for 1/250 sec. and ISO 320 hand held with the MT24 twin lights at 1/64 power.

Jerry van Dijk
06-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Hey Roman, great flower and great work photographing it! Lovely colors, excellent sharpness and BG. I would be tempted to off-centre the flower by cropping some off the right.

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Hey Jerry, I did consider it:w3....but wasn't pleased with how it looked after.......might be a first time that I didn't go tighter:eek:!

Don Lacy
06-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi Roman, Lovely colors and sharpness and I like the comp as is, not so sure about the BG while I do not hate it I think I would have prefer all black or maybe a bigger pattern of green through out it.

bhavya joshi
06-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Hi Roman, big flower to shoot, but i like the angle you have choose. Nice sharp, color and BG. and Details
As Don say, I also Think If BG is black,combination of these two color black and yellow would be great.
But overall, nice shot:S3:

Brendan Dozier
06-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Awesome image Roman, you got an excellent exposure with those strobes. I like the angle and colors look great. I agree about going uniform with BG, either all dark green, or all black.

Steve Maxson
06-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Another impressive image, Roman! Beautiful colors, excellent lighting, and very good sharpness throughout. I even like the background - yup, another minority opinion. :S3: Very well done.

Mitch Haimov
06-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Very well done, Roman. I, too, would crop from the right. I'm inclined to think the BG should be deep black or should be lightened somewhat--either way would work well. If lightened, I would retain the mottling.

OvidiuCavasdan
06-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Very nicely done, light, colors and details...I really like the BG, dark enough but not solid black.

David N Smith
06-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Roman, great shot. I like the color of the flower and I like the BG.

Dave

Nick Palmieri
06-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Great detail and great angle. As usual I would bet you have a version with a black BG and every crop possible. I like the more natural looking BG for a change.

Roman Kurywczak
06-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks all,
I did ponder the all black BG (Nick is correct....I do have one) but I must confess I did like the bit of modeled color. I will try a version with that lightnened and smoothed out even more just to see how that works......so thanks for the suggestions!