PDA

View Full Version : Giant kingfisher

Vivaldo Damilano
06-06-2011, 11:30 AM
This kingfisher was taken off a boat on the Chobe River.
Nikon D3s 200-400 taken at 280mm handheld. 1/2500s at F5 ISO800. In PS blured the BG :5

Daniel Cadieux
06-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Good exposure, and very sharp as posted. Good job blurring the BG. Comp a bit tight IMO, and I wish there was no sky visible along the top. If you have more room all around the sky may not look as out of place as here it is just trying to peak into the frame. Did you need to lighten under the wing (it looks good...just being curious)

Vivaldo Damilano
06-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks Daniel, this is just about full frame, taken at 7 metres. I agree with sky and should have tried removing it. I did do a bit of H/S but not that much.

Craig Brelsford
06-06-2011, 09:44 PM
I really don't see why the inclusion of the sliver of sky is a problem. This is an arresting photo. Sure, the bird is large in the frame, but then, it's the "giant" kingfisher; the composition puts an exclamation point on the bigness of the bird.

Sidharth Kodikal
06-06-2011, 09:50 PM
This is an amazing image Vivaldo. Love the super sharp head, tail and love those tiny feet. Fantastic job with the focus! Would love to see this species some day. TFS.

Stu Bowie
06-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Just love these guys flying posture with the forward wing position. Well done on getting her so close, and sharp where it counts.

Daniel Cadieux
06-07-2011, 04:58 AM
I really don't see why the inclusion of the sliver of sky is a problem.

It's not the fact that there is sky, but it's because there is so little of it that makes me want to see more...or none. Very subject of course:S3:

Craig Brelsford
06-07-2011, 05:51 AM
It's not the fact that there is sky, but it's because there is so little of it that makes me want to see more...or none. Very subject of course:S3:

As my many comments on your images have shown, I very much respect your eye, Daniel. I'm going to give Vivaldo's sky another good look and try to see where you're coming from.

Haim Ziv
06-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Very beautiful and impressive picture. :cheers:

Ofer Levy
06-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Looks great Vivaldo! Sharp with great pose! I like the sky in the BG which gives the viewer the impression that this was shot against a river bank and also gives it some more depth.

Vivaldo Damilano
06-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys appreciate comments. I am always ready to try something different if it will improve the image. I removed the sky, only took me two minutes, would love to here what you guys think. I am in two mind now, actually like them both TKS

Ofer Levy
06-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Leave the sky! It adds a sense of place to the image and it looks just fine.:w3

Daniel Cadieux
06-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Funny how tastes go from person to person....I actually like the repost without it! No right or wrong, go with what you like and what your gut says. If you have it, try a version with more sky than your OP (about double the amount you have now). I just wish it was more than just a tease of an appearance...:S3:

RakeshDhareshwar
06-08-2011, 12:24 AM
All I say say is this is a phenomenal capture !!

Vivaldo Damilano
06-08-2011, 12:25 AM
I feel they both work nicely, more sky could also work very nicely. Thanks for comments :S3:

Craig Brelsford
06-08-2011, 02:11 AM
. . . I like the sky in the BG which gives the viewer the impression that this was shot against a river bank and also gives it some more depth.

I see the image through Ofer's eyes. But it's not as though Vivaldo's redo weren't a good image, too.

Arthur Morris
06-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I really don't see why the inclusion of the sliver of sky is a problem. This is an arresting photo. Sure, the bird is large in the frame, but then, it's the "giant" kingfisher; the composition puts an exclamation point on the bigness of the bird.

Dan is 100% right on. From ABP II (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=19): "If and object (in this case, the sky) is worth including in the frame, include all of it with a border around it." I would greatly prefer more sky than the clone stamp job.

Arthur Morris
06-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Vivaldo, Can you please post the full frame original? The bird here is too tight in the frame for me.

Craig Brelsford
06-08-2011, 07:49 PM
. . . I would greatly prefer more sky than the clone stamp job.

Yet another possibility: clone in more sky. Why didn't I think of that?

Arthur Morris
06-08-2011, 07:55 PM
With the image so tight that the veggies in the upper right intersect with the sky that is easier said than done.

Vivaldo Damilano
06-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Thanks Arthur, been way for a few days so couldn't post the original. I had lots more room to play with in this image. I do agree with your comments, more room and more sky instead would have worked better. Thanks again.

Vivaldo Damilano
06-11-2011, 05:58 AM
Here a quick repost with sky included :S3:

Arthur Morris
06-11-2011, 06:31 AM
Thanks Vivaldo. Crop. Added canvas. F 10 pixel Gaussian Blur wound up at 50% Opacity. illed new canvas with flipped Rectangular Marquee Tool Selection. BKGR clean-up with Patch Tool and Clone Stamp Tool.Ridge clean-up with Patch Tool. Eye Doctor work. Moved green plant with Quick Mask. All as detailed in Digital Basics. (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252) Whaddya think?

Be sure to study and remember this:

From ABP II (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=19): "If and object (in this case, the sky) is worth including in the frame, include all of it with a border around it

Arthur Morris
06-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Here a quick repost with sky included :S3:

Too boxy. You still like to crop too tightly :). More blur on the BKGR might work....

Vivaldo Damilano
06-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks very much for your time and help Arty. I will have to re-read ABPII and Digital Basic. I think your work on the BG is super, love the smoothness you managed to get. I also like the way you worked on the whole BG, instead of just working on left hand side of image. Excellent idea to move green plant. I also agree prefer your comp :S3:

Arthur Morris
06-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I am glad that you liked :). Everything is in Digital Basics. (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252) but it takes time, study, practice, and a willingness to experiment to get really good.

BTW, thanks a stack for your membership support!

Daniel Cadieux
06-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Yes! I knew I'd prefer more sky than just a tease :-) Vivaldo, the KF looks great and the image was worth a re-work....:c3:

Vivaldo Damilano
06-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks Dan and Arty appreciate help and tips. I love working with images, have alot of patience:bg3: but still need the practice.