PDA

View Full Version : Theme Chestnut mandibled Toucans

Richard Unsworth
06-06-2011, 06:06 AM
:S3:

Right on the housing estate in Gamboa, Panama.

NR in Topaz, USM

Canon 40D
100-400 IS 1.4 TC
ISO 800
Ev +.33
1/250 tripod

Randy Stout
06-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Richard:

Great characters, these guys.
Sharp, well exposed, although perhaps a bit hot on the white patch on left bird.

The trunk works the diagonal very well, and I would be tempted to crop up from the bottom, about half way up to where the broken branch comes off. Yes, makes a bit of a squarish crop, but I think it will work well with this image layout.

Might consider a very thin dark frame on this image so it doesn't blend in so well with the forum background.

Cheers

Randy

Willem Verboom
06-06-2011, 09:26 AM
I like this composition very much. Nice colors and sharpness. It's a little bite unfortunately that the background is not a finer but that's all for my comment.

Greetz Willem

Richard Unsworth
06-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Richard:

Great characters, these guys.
Sharp, well exposed, although perhaps a bit hot on the white patch on left bird.

The trunk works the diagonal very well, and I would be tempted to crop up from the bottom, about half way up to where the broken branch comes off. Yes, makes a bit of a squarish crop, but I think it will work well with this image layout.

Might consider a very thin dark frame on this image so it doesn't blend in so well with the forum background.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy

following through on your suggestion of recrop and border so folk can compare and comment:S3:
check: whites at rear not hot on histo

Randy Stout
06-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Richard:

For my eye, the repost is an improvement, reduces the apparent steepness of the shooting angle, the frame helps set it off from the page background.

Thanks for the info about the whites. May just be an area of very little detail.

Cheers

Randy

Humberto Ramos
06-06-2011, 10:52 AM
I Prefer the second image, the composition becomes a litle better than the original one.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Richard, I like both compositions. very nice birds, good head angles, liked the plain BG as well. Very nice image, IMO.

I find the birds a bit soft. Have you run NR on the birds as well?

Richard Unsworth
06-07-2011, 05:57 AM
Richard, I like both compositions. very nice birds, good head angles, liked the plain BG as well. Very nice image, IMO.

I find the birds a bit soft. Have you run NR on the birds as well?

Yes NR was run on the birds; I am using Topaz 5 which gives pretty good control.
Noise was noticeable though not terrible, I find my 40D very poor with noise; having said that I did use ISO 800 and Ev -0.33 - should have been + 1 at least, trying to keep shutter speed up :eek:the birds were some 44 m away; But I opted to keep the converter on. I hate noise and would like suggestions on what to replace the 40D with ?