PDA

View Full Version : Warbling Vireo

Karl Egressy
06-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Warbling Vireo on breeding ground singing his heart out.
Thanks for looking.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/400
Av 7.1
Spot Metering
ISO 320
EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Type External E-TTL at -2 2/3

Ofer Levy
06-06-2011, 06:05 AM
Hi Karl, nice to see you posting in here.
Looks sharp to me with nice detail. Nice smooth BG. Perch a bit simple and bird a bit big in the frame IMO.

DarrenMcKenna
06-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Very nice Karl, these guys really do love to sing don't they. I was told years ago to try and keep your subject no bigger then 2/3 the size of the frame. Does this still hold true?

Bill Dix
06-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Terrific detail, clean BG, nice head turn and great singing pose. Comp looks OK to me. I might consider lightening the iris just a bit to separate it from the pupil. As I walk along the path by my local lake, these guys are spaced evenly in the trees along the path, maybe one every 50 yards or so, singing away. But I've never gotten a shot nearly as clean as this one. Well done.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Karl, I really like this shot. Excellent pose, exp. and BG.

The white lines in the wings look a bit oversharpened. While selecting the bird, I usually remove those areas from the selection...sharp diagonal lines tend to get oversharpened quickly. If mine, I'd go back and sharpen that part less and sharpnes just the face more. Sharpness on the breast, belly and upper part of the wings look fine.

Mark Itol
06-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I like the pose, eye contact, and detail on this one, Karl.

Karl Egressy
06-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Karl, I really like this shot. Excellent pose, exp. and BG.

The white lines in the wings look a bit oversharpened. While selecting the bird, I usually remove those areas from the selection...sharp diagonal lines tend to get oversharpened quickly. If mine, I'd go back and sharpen that part less and sharpnes just the face more. Sharpness on the breast, belly and upper part of the wings look fine.

Thanks Kaustubh.
I will experiment with the techics you suggested.

Daniel Cadieux
06-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Good pose here, love the subtle head turn our way. Nice BG too. I agree the bird is a bit big in the frame, and I would tone down the whitest whites just below the wing. Do I see a clone mark below the perch...? Whatever it is I'd eliminate it.

Darren, I've never heard that recommendation before, but I certainly prefer my songbirds smaller in the frame than 2/3 the size of the frame...

gail bisson
06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Another terrible shot Karl:w3
BG is lovely and agree that I would give more room around the bird. Nice head angle
Gail

Karl Egressy
06-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Good pose here, love the subtle head turn our way. Nice BG too. I agree the bird is a bit big in the frame, and I would tone down the whitest whites just below the wing. Do I see a clone mark below the perch...? Whatever it is I'd eliminate it.

Darren, I've never heard that recommendation before, but I certainly prefer my songbirds smaller in the frame than 2/3 the size of the frame...

Thanks Daniel.
I corrected most of the problems you and Kaustubh mentioned.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc29/karlo1789/DW3C6119dv.jpg

Troy Lim
06-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Karl,

I could see a few spots on the right side of the frames, could be from the resizing and posting for the web?

Robert Holguin
06-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Great shot!!! I really like the pose. Great detail and real nice background. I like the repost a lot better. Well done.