PDA

View Full Version : Amberwing, male, obelisking

Allen Sparks
06-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm II, 2x TC III, monopod, 580EX II
ISO 400, f14, 1/200s, fill flash

A tiny dragonfly I have not been able to capture up til now. I thought the perch was rather different for a dragonfly.

bhavya joshi
06-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Nice capture..Allen. sharp and Like the eye contact and nice pattern on abdominal.

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Sweeeeeet Allen!!! You got the perfect pose for this! Might tweak and lighten the body in a few places.....just a touch....but a great job overall!

Jerry van Dijk
06-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi Allen, wonderful species and interesting perch (finally something else than dried out sticks!). I would be tempted to clone out the flash higlights on the wings and perch. I'd also add a little selective sharpness to the thorax and head. I'm not too happy with the centered position of the dragonfly, but I think with your square crop it works out rather well.

Don Lacy
06-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Hi Allen, Nice pose and BG

Brendan Dozier
06-07-2011, 09:10 AM
I agree, Allen, great pose and image. Cool pattern and colors on this dragonfly and nice soft BG. Agree that you may want to remove the specular highlights on wings.

Steve Maxson
06-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi Allen. A cool little dragonfly (we don't see these up here - and we don't see obelisking very often either) and an interesting pose. Great job with the DOF and I like the perch and background. Here's another vote for cloning the flash-generated specular highlights from the wings - but it's a minor point. Very well done.

Mitch Haimov
06-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Fantastic subject, Allen. You nailed sharpness and DOF. The highlights on the wings don't really bother me, although I certainly have no objection to removing them. But catchlights in the eyes, which I normally like just fine, bother me on this one--perhaps because they make the 'fly look both cross-eyed and obviously flashed (catchlights would be at same position on both eyes if it were from sunlight). Very well done.

OvidiuCavasdan
06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Great pose and very nice colors, good DOF and also like the BG. Well done.