PDA

View Full Version : I am King of this beach! (King Eider)

noelle zaleski
06-05-2011, 09:16 AM
King Eider just stepping out of the water and greeted by this Gull which to me looks like he could do some damage to the eider. The eider's aggression made the gull jump away very quickly. After the quick squabble the eider plopped himself down in the sand and began to preen. It was nice to capture.

Sandy Hook NJ
MKIII
500mm
1/1600
F9
ISO 400
Hand Held

I thought about rotating the image but it just looked weird to me due to the angle I was shooting at. CC is always appreciated. I also removed a gull from the background as it was a distraction to the image.

Nick Palmieri
06-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Great capture. Nice low angle. I may crop a little tighter and remove some of the OOF beach in the foreground. Nice job! Keep wanting to get down to Sandy Hook...

noelle zaleski
06-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Great capture. Nice low angle. I may crop a little tighter and remove some of the OOF beach in the foreground. Nice job! Keep wanting to get down to Sandy Hook...

Thanks Nick,

Sand Hook has plenty of activity right now. Terns, skimmers, plovers, oyster catchers and many shore birds.

I like the tighter crop suggestion.

Chad Caswell
06-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Crop about half that much sweetie. :)

Ofer Levy
06-05-2011, 12:03 PM
This is a great behaviour and action shot!
Here is a repost with some cropping and blurring of the FG and BG which I felt is a bit distracting. Also applied some S/H. I never apply such blur to my images as I work with longer focal lenghts but I think it is needed in here.

noelle zaleski
06-05-2011, 12:25 PM
This is a great behaviour and action shot!
Here is a repost with some cropping and blurring of the FG and BG which I felt is a bit distracting. Also applied some S/H. I never apply such blur to my images as I work with longer focal lenghts but I think it is needed in here.

Thank you so much Ofer!!

I like what you have done.

noelle zaleski
06-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Crop about half that much sweetie. :)

I agree!! :t3

Daniel Cadieux
06-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Great interaction, and I love the water action you got here. This shows us how huge gulls can be (this looks like it is standing on its' tail!). Ofer's repost is nice. On all versions I'd eliminate the small round reflection above the eiders's back.

Jim Crosswell
06-05-2011, 08:15 PM
I like the action and body positions you captured in this interesting image. Well done Noelle!

noelle zaleski
06-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Thank you Daniel and Jim :S3: