PDA

View Full Version : Cathedral Lake Reflection

chris Bycroft
06-05-2011, 06:50 AM
In August-September last year I visited the United States and walked the John Muir Trial with a Canon 7D and three lenses. After coming back with quite a large number of photos it has taken me some time to get them sorted. I thought I might put some up on here for comments. This one was taken from Lower Cathedral Lake in Yosemite National Park in the early morning (7:37 am). The sun was rising behind Cathedral Peak, making a sunstar effect. Details are;

Canon 7D
EF-S 18-200 mm lens
Focal Length 18 mm
1/640 sec at f9.0
No Tripod, too heavy for 200 plus miles of walking.

Dave Mills
06-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Hi Chris, pleasing scene with a nice starburst peeking over the mountains. The exposure seems to be handled well with detail in both the sunlit and shaded areas. A few things...I would have not included the clipped shoreline on the LL and I would of tried to offset the rock a bit further. Finally, the trees look a bit oversaturated...

Roman Kurywczak
06-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Hey Chris,
Agree with Dave's assesment.......although I'd imagine the trees were a bit dark given the SS. I'm surprised you got that good of a sunburst at f9.....I like where you placed it. Did you happen to try a 2 exposure blend......say one at this exposure for the lit areas and one at say f16 and 1/200 sec.? Plenty of SS for hand holding and it may allowed you to blend the 2 exposures a bit more easily and with more natural results. Just an option to keep in mind for next time out! That was some trek!

Harshad Barve
06-05-2011, 08:37 PM
pleasing image , agreed with above comments
TFS

chris Bycroft
06-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the comments. The saturation seemed to come in when downsizing it in photoshop, as it does not seem to be there in lightroom. I will take better care of that in future, thank for the advise here. I may try Roman's suggestion of blending two images.

Robert Amoruso
06-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Chris,

I having only one image of the scene, process one for the FG lighter areas and one for the FG darker ares and blend the two but layering and masking.

Andrew McLachlan
06-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Chris, a very nice scene with the sunburst placed nicely. Agree with above suggestions.

Gerald_Gilligan
06-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Hey Chris,

I hiked up there last June in one day and had a heck of a time as there wasn't a trail and plenty of snow...

This is about a 3 mile hike up and it is worth the effort when you get up there...I had the same skies with out the clouds.

I will agree with the saturation comment but I hope that you have many more to post here...

Jerry