Flash : Off > spot light used
FL: 300mm
Metering : Pattern
Apperture priority > centre focus point
Iso: 400

Robert Amoruso
03-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Keith,

Nice action captured and framed well. At f/5 you did not have enough DOF to get both sharp. Focus is on the lion on the left. The red on the left and what appears to be a stick on the right are distracting. WIth the Mark III you have the ability to go to ISO 800 or even 1250 here and close down the aperture.

Below I ran a local contrast enhancement on the image (USM A=20, R=60, T=0), did two rounds of USM (A=125, R=0.2, T=0). I then cloned the red and stick out. If cloning out something is not something you feel you want to do that is AOK as well.

Alfred Forns
03-27-2008, 07:35 AM
intimate portrait Like it a lot Agree on increasing the ISO for more dof Win situation

Would rather leave the red from the kill I think it enhances the mood but is just personal preference I like it a lot!!!!!

Keith Rawlins
03-27-2008, 08:19 AM
:D:D:D Not a stick but part of the intestine, the lions were eating, in fact the mother lion was so old, all she ate was the soft inner intestines, so thought I would capture that.
Interesting point irt iso, as I shoot a lot in the dark hours and always open up my app to sometimes 2.8 to get the shutter speed up, and some times go to iso 800, but need to up the iso more and close down the app more for better focus.

Todd Frost
03-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Nice image Keith. Agree with Robert on upping iso and removal of intestine and with Al on leaving the red open area of the kill. I like the crop on this portrait.
Todd

Robert Amoruso
03-27-2008, 11:19 AM
:D:D:D Not a stick but part of the intestine, the lions were eating, in fact the mother lion was so old, all she ate was the soft inner intestines, so thought I would capture that.
Interesting point irt iso, as I shoot a lot in the dark hours and always open up my app to sometimes 2.8 to get the shutter speed up, and some times go to iso 800, but need to up the iso more and close down the app more for better focus.

I am sorry - again using the work monitor I could not even tell that was the kill. Perhaps 4 hours of sleep is not enough. :)

I have finally started bringing my new 20" HP HDX laptop to work with its calibrated monitor and opened up this post again and can see it very clearly now. Or maybe I am just more awake.

Any case forget the cloning Keith.

Arthur Morris
03-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Great job on the sharpening RAM but I am all for leaving in the red blood and the intestine. Get some more sleep! Love the intimacy of the image.

later and love, artie