PDA

View Full Version : Morning at Arrowtown 3 New Zealand - A Coat Of Many colors

Jay Gould
06-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Late morning as the sun was rising the hills spoke to us! :w3

Because the image had no starting or ending point I am utilizing the black border to give it definition.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 23/04/11; 11:17am
Light condition: sunny
Lens: 70-200 f/2.8
Focal length: 2800mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no;
ISO: 50
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 0.5 sec
Aperture: f/22
Exp Comp: 0
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: single shot
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR GNDs
Crop: minimal
Image Changes: none

Processed in LR3, CS5, Pixel Genius Sharpening, Tony Kuyper Actions.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Dave Mills
06-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Hi Jay, I'm usually not a fan of borders but in this case I feel it helps. Even though there is no real center of interest I like the patterns of color presented on a diagonal. I also like the green tree anchoring the upper rt and was just wondering how the comp would look with more of the green tree anchoring the lower left. I would have to see it to make a judgement call...

Jay Gould
06-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi Dave, while not a fan of borders, do you use frames? I am considering framing each of my images in some type of a double frame so that I can add a location/title.

Someone else suggested that the strong green trees in the URC and the LLC act as an anchor and imaginary diagonal line.

I cannot give you more of the tree in the LL as all crop was done from the top. Next time I will be more careful to not cutoff the strong elements. I should have used a different focal length to capture all of the dark trees and then cropped to keep them fully in the image.

Cheers,

Harshad Barve
06-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Jay , Not an expert on Landscapes , but I must say Loving those colors here , excellent
TFS

Roman Kurywczak
06-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey Jay,
I agree with Dave's assesment. In this case if you had the darker tree in a ROT position or perhaps eliminating them entirely....as the wonderful colors make strong diagonals themselves! I would still evict the whites tree in the lower section of the frame.
Now.....borders.....Not a huge fan of them either ....although like Dave.....in this case I do feel it was necessary. Thinner perhaps....only a couple of pixels would suffice. I always recommend people put a thin border around if the image has a lot of whites or greys in it.....to help it seperate from the BPN light BG.....other than that.....I'm here to judge the image and not have the frame influence me one way or the other........after all......I may not like the frame:w3.

Robert Amoruso
06-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Jay,

Dave and Roman captured my ideas on this image Jay. The green trees are too close the the edge to anchor the image as Roman commented, and I agree with him on the white trees - they through the diagonal patterns for a loop.

As far as center of interest go, geometric patterns can hold interest in an image and as Roman mentioned, the diagonal line of colors does this in spades - that's why the white trees through it off. I would have also preferred the green trees so close to the border.

Jay Gould
06-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Here is a cleanup of some of the trees and RHS as suggested; with a lighter border.

Marina Scarr
06-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Agree with Dave's critique, and the repost works better for my eyes. I would have liked to see an anchor to this image. The colors are splendid. Although I am not too familiar with landscape photography, my eye kept looking for a point of entry to this photograph.

Andrew McLachlan
06-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi Jay, agree with the above suggestions. Love the colors and the diagonal flow to the trees.

Jay Gould
06-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Agree with Dave's critique, and the repost works better for my eyes. I would have liked to see an anchor to this image. The colors are splendid. Although I am not too familiar with landscape photography, my eye kept looking for a point of entry to this photograph.

Hi Marina, interesting that you should raise the question of a point of entry - focal point.

This was raised by Roger Clark in http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/84571-Morning-at-Arrowtown-2-New-Zealand, and again commented on by Roger in his own image (frame 6).

At the end of the day there are lots of "landscapes" that do not have a traditional focal point, i.e., leading lines from the the foreground to background.

Thanks for looking and commenting.