PDA

View Full Version : King Eider

noelle zaleski
06-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Sandy Hook ...NJ
It was a real joy to capture these beautiful ducks.

Canon MKIII
500mm
1/1600
F9
ISO 400
Hand Held

Paul Randall
06-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Would love to see this posted a little larger (800 pixels high) as its hard to make out the detail properly like this.
The shelly surroundings and exposure look great and you've done well to place the head above the tide line so as not to be distracting. Head angle could be a little more toward the viewer in a perfect world:c3:
Try a few soft noises to get the birds attention next time you are in this situation:w3

noelle zaleski
06-04-2011, 04:29 AM
Would love to see this posted a little larger (800 pixels high) as its hard to make out the detail properly like this.
The shelly surroundings and exposure look great and you've done well to place the head above the tide line so as not to be distracting. Head angle could be a little more toward the viewer in a perfect world:c3:
Try a few soft noises to get the birds attention next time you are in this situation:w3

Thanks Paul for taking the time to comment,

I have resized it

I agree and wish he looked at me a little more. There is a little story behind this bird. The day before I saw many birders in the area and wondered what all the fuss was about. I was told there was a rare bird, the king eider on the beach. No sightings that day but the following day I was lucky enough to capture this male along with another younger male hanging out with the gulls. I have many images of them but was also cautious not to get too close in fear they would fly away.

I guess my soft duck voice was a little off that day ...LOL He could have cared less that I was there.

Chad Caswell
06-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Great image sweetie... wish I seen him when we both went back :( :t3 Oh well, you can print me one of yours :bg3:

Doug Brown
06-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Lucky you to photograph such a cool bird! Excellent exposure and sharpness. I like the shells in the sand too. Do wish for a slightly better head angle though.

noelle zaleski
06-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Great image sweetie... wish I seen him when we both went back :( :t3 Oh well, you can print me one of yours :bg3:

Thanks Chad... 5x7 coming your way LOL

noelle zaleski
06-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Lucky you to photograph such a cool bird! Excellent exposure and sharpness. I like the shells in the sand too. Do wish for a slightly better head angle though.

Thanks Doug, it was very cool to capture this bird. I do have more with different perspectives and head angles along with a juvenile male. I will post one of those later tonight.