PDA

View Full Version : Following Mama

wendell westfall
06-03-2011, 08:41 PM
D90 70-200VR+2X@140 1/400 f/5.6 ISO400 0EV handheld

I guess it's nesting time all over the country . . . lots of ducklings and goslings being posted. This is the same family as photographed and pictured in my last post of three days ago. Unfortunately, most of my images from that opportunity were not exposed well. I had trouble with NR, among other things. With this image I cut off the adult bird (male/female?, both sexes of Canada Geese look alike) as shown, so I thought I might as well use that mistake to tell the story here -- and it's not the crop; it was my error in framing. Adjustments in LR3.

Wendell

Jeff Cashdollar
06-03-2011, 08:55 PM
wendell,
It's baby season and I love the pics of the young ones. I enjoy the mother leading the way, been nice to get her in frame - sounds like you were trying. The opportunity is the angle, need to be low if possible. Many times easier said than done but to appreciate their world it helps to see it.

Looks like overcast/low light fill flash might help, would lighten eyes some too. Did you pan, it might help with the motion blur too - thanks for sharing. Always enjoy seeing your work.

John Chardine
06-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Hi Wendell- Humerous! These guys are definitely imprinted on mum and dad. I agree with Jeff that it would be good to have the adult. Imaging the image from a lower camera angle with the whole family.