PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Oriole

Jim Crosswell
06-03-2011, 04:38 PM
This is another image from the backyard setup taken in the beginning of May. All C&Cs are appreciated and welcome.

Canon 40D
500L f/4
1.4 Extender
ISO 400
f/7.1
1/200s
Tripod

Tom Rambaut
06-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Love the split perch and stance, as well as the whole BG colour orange plumage contrast. Perch is not overpowering and the eye contact is very engaging. Fine image. TFS

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Terrific shot Jim. Loved the stance, angle and the colors are popping from the BG very well. Excellent exposure and sharpness. One suggestion is a mild round of USM on the perch.

Daniel Cadieux
06-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Yes, the split perch with one foot on each prong is a nice touch. I may selectively lighten the iris just a tad. You've been getting good images of the orioles...are you attracting them with halved oranges?

Sidharth Kodikal
06-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Love this image Jim. Perfect pose and perch. It must be amazing to have Orioles visiting your yard!
What's the bg?

Jim Crosswell
06-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Yes, the split perch with one foot on each prong is a nice touch. I may selectively lighten the iris just a tad. You've been getting good images of the orioles...are you attracting them with halved oranges?

Thanks for the comments. I knew what week they would be coming around (first week in May down here) so I took the week off work. The number of Orioles was the best ever. I had five around at the same time. I am using a 1/4 sugar 3/4 water solution in a feeder. I had perches lined up and changed them a couple of times a day. The Orioles are still coming but not as frequently.

Jim Crosswell
06-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Love this image Jim. Perfect pose and perch. It must be amazing to have Orioles visiting your yard!
What's the bg?

Thanks for the kind comments. The BG is a distant maple tree trunk.

Joe Senzatimore
06-03-2011, 08:17 PM
One sweet image. The perch is a bit outside the box for a set-up , but it is perfect none the less. One foot on each tine is a big bonus!!!!!!:5

Leo Berzins
06-04-2011, 02:52 AM
Lovely pose captured here Jim. Looks sharp and well exposed.
The perch is certainly different but it looks a bit too unnatural for me.

Stu Bowie
06-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Good angled pose Jim, and the splayed legs on the forked perch adds interest. Difficult colours to get right, but you succeeded very well. BG looks good too.

Grace Scalzo
06-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Love it, Jim. That was a clever idea for a perch, and the way he's sitting there with both feet on each side of the y works so well. Hope you print and frame a few of these.