PDA

View Full Version : Wall Cloud hits Smoky mountains

Jay Sheinfield
06-03-2011, 01:01 PM
I went to B&W and some high contrast tonal work to help add some drama/interest.
The lighting was quite low at the time of the image.

I did some Topaz Clean to help with detail, so this image may fall between this forum and the OOTB forum, but I wanted compositional feedback from this forum. I've gotten lost in the processing at this point, time to stop and ask for feedback.

Nikon D3
14mm
f/9
1/200 sec

Thanks for the look.............

Robert Amoruso
06-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Jay,

Local contrast adjustments are fair game here so no need to go OOTB with it.

In the near FG I would recommend not clipping the fence posts bottom. Best to have the wires entering the frame to a complete vertical post. On the right I would ahve preferred more of the road. As it acts as a leading line, it brings me to the right edge of the image too much.

I like the textures in the clouds and the road. I like the darker grass on the left leading back to the lighter grass. I like the diagonal slope of the mountain.

I would lighten the dark area at the end of the road.

You are on the right track. Looking forward to more images.

Jay Sheinfield
06-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Robert,

Thanks. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for...................The road was a question in my mind.

Andrew McLachlan
06-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Jay, Robert touched on all the key points. Love the B&W conversion here, the clouds and the storm light too! When I shoot road scenes I like to lie down on the road with a wide angle lens, I really like that perspective, but it is best to do when shooting with a companion who can watch for traffic.

Jay Sheinfield
06-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Andrew,

Thanks for the tip. In this the road actually wraps around to the left, I might have had a better view if standing in the bed of my truck :S3:

Dave Mills
06-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi Jay, good suggestions above. The road is a key element in the image and as stated above there should be more of it. This image appears lightly filtered but if a heavier application is applied it should go in OOTB.

Jay Sheinfield
06-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Yes, some combination of steps and pan to the right would have helped. I see it now.

Harshad Barve
06-04-2011, 11:01 PM
One excellent image and great advise above
TFS

Roman Kurywczak
06-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Hey Jay,
Great advice above! If you look at the image and you had moved or panned more right.....using the 2nd fence post (1st full one as Robert suggested in the LL) somewhere near or slighly left of the ROT vert position ........that would make the road as strong as the rest of the scne and not lead us out.
Another possible option is to get right on top of the 1st post with a wide angle.....making sure not to clip the base and then seeing where it takes you comp wise.
I still think this image has a lot of merit as presented.....I like the fact you kep the road a bit darker....helps minimize it leading us out of the frame......I would further lighten the entire tree line....they form a curve and will lead us through the frame visually.....and then tone down the UL white areas. I think that will work to save the image and give it some added flow comp wise. Just keep the suggestions in mind when out in the field!