PDA

View Full Version : Theme Barrow's Goldeneye

Indranil Sircar
06-03-2011, 12:27 PM
This is from earlier in the year taken at Shoreline park, Mountainview. This was one of those rare opportunity, I got both of them raising their head in unison! The settings were

7D, Sigma 50-500mm @ 500mm on Gitzo/Mongoose
1/2000 sec, f/8, Av, Evaluative Metering, Exp comp: -1/3, ISO: 800

For processing, cleaned up some water bubble on bg, adjusted for saturation, selective colors... your c&c will be appreciated...

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Indranil, I like the symmetrical head positions and the colors.

The subjects, esp. the drake, seem soft. Is it critical-focus issue? The tail side of the hen seems sharper. Composition-wise, I'd have more room on top and crop from bottom. Whites seem very bright.

Daniel Cadieux
06-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Great opportunity Indranil!! I too love the symmetrical poses, but I also agree with KD's critique and observations.

Indranil Sircar
06-03-2011, 10:09 PM
KD, Dan, thanks for the feedback.

Critical focus was on the center touching the drake's head. The whites are surely within limits... not sure why you are seeing it so bright.

Ofer Levy
06-04-2011, 02:12 AM
What a great opportunity. Whites look fine to me. I agree about the softness. I suspect that taking the same photo with a better lens could have made a big difference. Maybe the Sigma 50-500mm cannot deliver the IQ standards we are used to from the Canon/Nikon primes.

Indranil Sircar
06-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks. Agreed on the softness from the lens... Here is a repost with different crop and better focus on the drake.