PDA

View Full Version : Black Swan Portrait

Tom Rambaut
06-03-2011, 04:28 AM
A number of these lovley animals have been killed in recent times by young guys with nothing better to do. One #### ### ran one over with a jet ski and his friend was filming it. They thought it was very funny. Go figure!!!

This was taken this morning - 7d, 500mm + 1.4ext, 1/800 @ 6.3, 400iso, Ev -1/3.

Thanks, Tom.

Paul Randall
06-03-2011, 06:22 AM
Light looks a little harsh but you've handled it pretty well. Pretty hard not to blow the whites on the end of the bill with these birds so thats not a problem, especially given the fact that there is nothing of detail to see there anyway (even in the best of light).
BG is fantastic and my only suggestion is to change the orientation a little to better suit the composition. Might not be to everybodys taste though.

Ofer Levy
06-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Sharp with nice details. I think it needs some levels adjustment as the black doesn't look black in here.
I like the change in the head's position in Paul's repost but crop is too tight in the repost IMO.

Vivaldo Damilano
06-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Superb Tom, I also vote opener as I also find repost a bit tight. I would also check black as suggested but overall excellent TFS:cheers::cheers:

Randy Stout
06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Tom:

We have several of these birds at the local bird sanctuary, and I have always enjoyed them, love the texture in their feathers. The males are always so cantankerous in protecting their turf.

I prefer the original comp. Nice eye, sharp. I agree about the blacks needing to be just a bit darker, but your original is pretty close to how they appear here, when in full sun.

Might try a linear burn selection on the white bill patch, to see if any detail can be brought out there.

I might also try to tone down some of the brighter reflections on the side of the bill.

Cheers

Randy

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Tom, I love portraits like this one. You got a very nice BG and excellent sharpness.

Stu Bowie
06-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Tom, good exposure on the blacks, and you have brought out good detail too. I prefer your OP, and have you tried adding back some black in selective colour. Good idea from Randy to tone down parts of the bill.

Tom Rambaut
06-03-2011, 04:58 PM
That white on the beak does pose a problem. There is not much in the way of detail or texture there as it is a shiny smooth part of the beak.

I'll stick with the OP as the second comp seems too boxed in. Always interesting to see different ways of doing things.

This was one of a pair that have two youngsters with them at the moment. They nest every year and usually bring up a number of chicks. They are very tame but this one would not let me get too close to the two yougsters, always positioning its self between me and them.

Jim Crosswell
06-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Nice portrait Tom! I like the sharpness, detail and composition.

Leo Berzins
06-04-2011, 03:02 AM
Nicely composed Tom.
The slightly downward head tilt in the OP looks more natural to me for this species.