PDA

View Full Version : Royal tern pair - first post in critique forum

Gunnlaugur Sigurjónsson
06-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi. I have been reading and learning from this site for some years now. Have been taking bird photographs for the last three years and I think it is now time to take the next step and post some photographs for critique in hope of improving my skills.
As the theme in the avian critique forum is pairs I will start by posting this royal tern pair that I meet in Fort Desoto Florida during holidays this spring.
I took this photograph with canon 1D mark 4 and a canon 400mm f5,6 lens lying on the beach, steadying the lens on my think tank streetwalker backback. ISO 400, f8, 1/2500, Av mode. Post processed in Lightroom 3,3.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5149/5629167462_b3d97baaf6_b.jpg

John Chardine
06-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Hi Gunnlaugur- Welcome to BPN! You have come to the right place to learn nature photography. Feel free to comment on other images posted. We are very interest in everyone's opinions.

You have captured some great interaction here between the male and female Royal Terns. You have good sharpness and I like the smooth blue background. You had bright light but you managed to handle the exposure and the whites very well. Black and white birds are very difficult in harsh light like this some lost of detail in the head of the righthand bird. Maybe dodging a little would help. The angle of the sun (phase angle) was behind and to your left and this side-lighting element has brought out some nice detail in the plumage. The image would have had more impact if you were lower down. Look forward to seeing more!

jack williamson
06-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Pretty good first post Gunllaugur and welcome. Like John said a good exposure given the bright sun.

I like the fg and bg.

Jack