PDA

View Full Version : Stepping out

Grace Scalzo
06-02-2011, 08:01 AM
From our local town beach this morning. A cold front moved through last night, it was very windy, and the birds were very skiddish. Even this fellow was soon spooked by a walker, which they usually tolerate.

Canon 1dmk4, 500 f4 + 1.4tc, gitzo tripod, whimberly head
1/1250, ISo400, f8

Daniel Cadieux
06-02-2011, 09:26 AM
The exposure, details, colours, and pose all look good, but for me a lower angle would have put this over the top!

It was VERY windy up here too yesterday!!

Dumay de Boulle
06-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Lovely detail and exp..Light looks good but I must agree with Daniel a lower angle would have been great (But I do understand its not always possible):S3:

Grace Scalzo
06-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys, I 100% agree. Dealing with a messed up knee that I had already pushed to its limits this morning. (Not making an excuse, just stating a frustrating fact.)

Stu Bowie
06-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Grace, I feel the raised foot already puts this up a notch, and overall, you have nailed the exposure. Great HA, with a lovely eye. Comp wise, I think you could lose a bit of the shadow and move the heron back to left a little more. I do unsterstand your thinking of wanting to leave the shadow in. A lower angle may have split the BG through the heron, so I think this would have been the best perspective. :w3

Vivaldo Damilano
06-02-2011, 01:58 PM
I agree with above comments but still like the image for the nice HA and raised foot. I would also agree with Stu, more room to the right would also work nicely TFS :cheers::cheers:

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Grace, that foot frozen in mid stride is what makes this one special. nice BG separation as well. I do like the idea of not clipping the shadow....tad more room in the front would be nice. Out here, we dont get these guys so nicely in the open in good light. Well done.

Joe Senzatimore
06-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Beautiful light and exposure. Love the red eye on these birds. I might take it out of center , as mentioned. Also just a touch of CW rotation to get the water line straight???

arash_hazeghi
06-02-2011, 08:46 PM
very nice, I would have not gone lower because the shoreline would get too close or intersect with the head, it is great as presented, nice pose, clean and sharp.

Arthur Morris
06-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi Grace, Is that the ocean in the BKGR??? Was this Nickerson? Beautiful light, sharpness, and colors; bummer about the bird's dirty face. Loved the raised foot also. Agree with KD's assessment of the COMP.

Lastly, I think that you meant "skittish."

Grace Scalzo
06-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments and ideas. I do have more room on the right. I composed this as I did (putting that red eye on the rule of thirds target spot) because with him looking back every so slightly, and wanting to leave in the full shadow, I thought it was a strong composition, but wanted your opinions, which I value and I see your points.

Artie, Not Nickerson. I've never seen BCNH's there. West Meadow, Town of Brookhaven beach on the LI Sound. As for my spelling, I used to get "A"'s in all my subjects except spelling, which I was happy to pull a "C-". :e3

Arthur Morris
06-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks Grace, That's why I asked about Nickerson :). More wrong word than spelling :).

Grace Scalzo
06-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Wait, I'm confused. When I said "skiddish" what I was trying to say was unsettled, unapproachable, etc. I thought it was spelled with d's, but you said t's. :2

Going back this pm but still really windy.

Jim Crosswell
06-04-2011, 07:03 AM
I like the walking pose, HA, exposure and red eye. Well done Grace!

Grace Scalzo
06-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Thank you Jim.

Arthur Morris
06-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Wait, I'm confused. When I said "skiddish" what I was trying to say was unsettled, unapproachable, etc. I thought it was spelled with d's, but you said t's. :2

Going back this pm but still really windy.

The root of skiddish would be skid, as in be careful don't skid on the ice. The not so tame birds are skittish :). Lots of those at Nickerson right now....