:S3:

Taken on Contadora Island, Pearl Islands in the early evening

They almost match!

1/500, f 7.1 but with 1.4 TC, eV -1.0, iso 400
40D and 100-400

Roger Clark
06-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Richard,
Very nice pose and composition. Very sharp. But there is a very strong green cast. I can see there would be some green reflecting from the water, but the top of the wings look green too.

Roger

Richard Unsworth
06-02-2011, 07:01 AM

Hi

Thanks

I will recheck

Richard Unsworth
06-02-2011, 07:13 AM

Hi

Thanks

I will recheck

OK sorry reposting, any better?

I do struggle with this sometimes

anyone else?

downloaded back from site and it looks fine to me now

Daniel Cadieux
06-02-2011, 11:11 AM
It's better, but the water colour is just much too intense. Try desaturating it a good bit.

I like the synchronized poses:S3:

Richard Unsworth
06-02-2011, 11:40 AM
It's better, but the water colour is just much too intense. Try desaturating it a good bit.

I like the synchronized poses:S3:

Ok

Took the black down -0.8 in cyan absolute in selective color
straight desat produced a very weird effect indeed that I did not like one bit:t3

Randy Stout
06-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Richard:

Symmetry very nice, but I am still seeing a marked green cast on the wings, esp. the trailing edges and back. Def. better, but still present.

Randy

Richard Unsworth
06-02-2011, 01:19 PM
:S3:hi Randy
Ok?

Randy Stout
06-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Richard:

The cast is better, although the exposure is changing, much lighter birds in pane #8.

I will try and take a peak at it at home when I can fiddle a bit with the color cast!

Cheers

Randy

Richard Unsworth
06-02-2011, 02:57 PM

OK

thanks
hmmm didnt touch anything other than eye dropper in levels?

Lets see if you can sort it

Randy Stout
06-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Richard:

I had a minute, so worked on your image in ACR and PS CS5.

I tried both adjusting the HSL levels in ACR, Aqua to -100 and green to -.61, and the average color blur technique of Robert O'toole in CS5. I thought both resulted in more neutral colors.

The problem for me is to know what the water really looked like. I may have made the water too neutral, but the birds look better (IMO)

You posted a very small file size, so you can do much better on the raw.

Cheers

Randy

Roger Clark
06-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Richard,
I noticed the file name begins with an underbar: _
The underbar usually means the image was in a color space like Adobe RGB. Are you working with Adobe RGB and did you convert the image to sRGB for posting on BPN?

Do you have a color managed workflow and calibrated monitor?

Roger

Richard Unsworth
06-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Richard,
I noticed the file name begins with an underbar: _
The underbar usually means the image was in a color space like Adobe RGB. Are you working with Adobe RGB and did you convert the image to sRGB for posting on BPN?

Do you have a color managed workflow and calibrated monitor?

Roger

Hi Roger

yep, and CS5 is set correctly to convert to sRGB in "save for web"

So, went back to raw
used a small amount of recovery, nothing else in ACR
opened in PS5, ran NR in Topaz 5, removed slight red cast with eye drop method, saved for web as usual, USM and adj black in curves on jpeg and here is repost

not really sure what went wrong before:eek:

Roger Clark
06-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi Richard,

This is much better, although now I see a slight red cast.

I brought this wind in to photoshop and used curves. The idea is as follows, Each pair of numbers is listed as input, output:

red channel three points: a: 158, 137, b: 213, 186, c: 254, 244

blue channel 3 points: a: 64, 64 (anchor to no change in shadows), b: 126, 132, c: 198, 210.

I placed the cursor on the bird, read out the values, then assuming it should be white, went to curves and moved the curve up or down in each color to make the bird white.

I assume the sky above the birds was blue, as making the bottom of the birds white makes the top of the wings bluish (which is OK).

Roger

Ofer Levy
06-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Pan #13 looks more or less natural to me althugh white look almost hot and birds a bit soft.

Richard Unsworth
06-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Pan #13 looks more or less natural to me althugh white look almost hot and birds a bit soft.

Ofer

I hear what you say I dont want to get any closer to 255 in the whitest position, but I am OK with pane 13. As it stands on my rig white is not clipped. I do however agree the birds look softer.

Mike

I will study that and give it a go; though I will perhaps leave as is for now

Its very interesting to discuss these issues and I thank you for your time.
Perhaps more field notes and varying exposures etc will help next time.