PDA

View Full Version : Roseate Spoonbill adult feeding chick

Robert Amoruso
06-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Taken 5/29/11 while out with James Shadle (thanks James for the great company). The fledged Spoonbill chicks are in hot pursuit of the parents for some grub. Here you can see the exchange of food.

Canon 7D
Canon 600mm f/4 IS
1/2000 sec, f/5
Mode: Manual
ISO: 200
White balance: Cloudy
Flash: Off

The Canon 7D at ISO 200 w/o any noise correction. No Cloning except for one spot that appeared to be sensor dust but might have been stray airborne sand particle.

allanrube
06-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Very nice. It almost looks like a studio shot. The young one's head turn is not perfect but is close.

Robert Amoruso
06-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Allan, you can't have both as the chick has to angle in to receive the fish from the parent. :w3

allanrube
06-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Allan, you can't have both as the chick has to angle in to receive the fish from the parent. :w3

True, but I was comparing your image to perfection. :t3

Michael Lotito
06-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Both birds in focus. That is what technically stands out to me. I often struggle to get both birds crisp. Otherwise not alot to dislike about this shot!

Ofer Levy
06-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Excellent behaviour shot! No problem at all with the head angle. You mention WB - cloudy. Judging by the shadows you had pretty decent dirct light...:w3

Robert Amoruso
06-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks Michael.

Ofer, I normally shoot in Cloudy WB to warm the images some. Created at 8:22 AM, 1 hour and 40 minutes after sunrise. About 20 minutes later we left as the shadows were too strong. I was fortunate to be right on sun angle with them when the feeding started. So you are correct that the light angle favored the image. Good insight to share I neglected to mention. Thanks. :w3

Harshad Barve
06-01-2011, 08:28 PM
excellent behavioral shot Robert
TFS

denise ippolito
06-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Robert, I like this one a lot. Beautiful details, composition and nice lighting.:S3:

arash_hazeghi
06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Excellent behavior in sweet light. great work

Arthur Morris
06-01-2011, 09:23 PM
I am with Robert on this--the head positions are pretty much excellent. I love the entire image design and the perfect EXP. Is this full frame; the COMP seems too perfect!

Randy Stout
06-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Robert:

Excellent subject isolation from BG, sharp, well exposed, interesting action, well executed.
Good shooting angle. I assume you were in the water?

Cheers

Randy

Robert Amoruso
06-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I am with Robert on this--the head positions are pretty much excellent. I love the entire image design and the perfect EXP. Is this full frame; the COMP seems too perfect!

Artie,

Thanks. Crop is from right and top. Repost is full frame.

Robert Amoruso
06-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Robert:

Excellent subject isolation from BG, sharp, well exposed, interesting action, well executed.
Good shooting angle. I assume you were in the water?

Cheers

Randy

Randy, Yes in the water. Tides where high so up the the chest in many places. If I recall here we were down on knees and had moved closer but always as a respectable distance.

Sid Garige
06-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Excellent image Robert. Great behavior very well captured.

Troy Lim
06-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Robert, awesome shot. Love it!

Robert Holguin
06-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Beautiful shot. Love the interaction in lovely light. Well done.

Tom Rambaut
06-02-2011, 04:45 AM
Very nice image and very useful as I use the 7d as well. I'm impressed with the Noise, lack there of, in the blacks and the fact that you have not done any NR. Nice comp and behavioural capture.

gail bisson
06-02-2011, 05:22 AM
WOW! This picture really inspires me to keep working at my photography! The composition is PERFECT! The image is interesting and dynamic. Love the position of the chick...love it all
Gail

Arthur Morris
06-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Artie, Thanks. Crop is from right and top. Repost is full frame.

Thanks Robert. Going back to Pane 1, I would have cropped off the bottom half the distance from the frame-edge to the bottom of the immature's foot and then added the same amount of room at the top. My preference is usually for at least 2X as much space above than below; images seem better balanced to me that way. IAC, a very fine capture.

Given the option and time would you have preferred to have been a few feet to your right?

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Robert, what a shot. excellent shooting angle and moment. exp, sharpness terrific as usual. I am with Artie on having a little more room at the top.

Vivaldo Damilano
06-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Excellent Robert, perfect comp and the image really pops. The dark BG is stunning so would agree with more room at the top TFS:cheers:

Robert Amoruso
06-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks Robert. Going back to Pane 1, I would have cropped off the bottom half the distance from the frame-edge to the bottom of the immature's foot and then added the same amount of room at the top. My preference is usually for at least 2X as much space above than below; images seem better balanced to me that way. IAC, a very fine capture.

Given the option and time would you have preferred to have been a few feet to your right?

I can see the 2x distance on top thing and will try that, but on the bottom I am comfortable with the in-camera cropping I made.

They were a few feet to my right when the chick started begging but ended up in front of me. :w3 That would have been good to to be a few feet right. :bg3:

Michael Wolf
06-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Image is a jaw dropper from the start and you have no nits from me whatever!

noelle zaleski
06-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Robert, I really like your image and the fact that you can actually see the mothers mouth and food in the youngsters moth. Excellent detail and nice composition :S3: