PDA

View Full Version : Everyone is Watching the Sunrise on the Serengeti

Roger Clark
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
(Not sure if this should be in landscape or birds--seems to me to be more of a landscape.)

Another amazing sunrise in the central Serengeti. This image was a little before sunrise and the storks and baboons in the tree were all watching the unfolding scene.

Canon 1D Mark IV 16-megapixel camera, 300 mm f/2.8 L IS + 1.4x TC giving 420.0 mm.
This is a 15-frame mosaic with each frame at f/8.0, 1/800 sec, ISO 100, manual exposure.
Final image is 14776 x 7288 pixels (107 megapixels). Assembly in PTGui took less than 2 minutes on an I7 computer with 8 gigabytes of RAM using 4 cpus.

Here is a slightly larger version:
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.africa_2011/web/serengeti.sunrise.trees.and.birds.c02.24.2011.c45i 5745-63.d-1200.html

and if you click next, you will see a vertical crop.

Roger

Robert Amoruso
06-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Roger,

Great image quality, great color, great looking tree silhouette. This really comes together. Of course beyond you control is the less appealing tree on the right as it just does not go with the glorious looking leafed tree. My recommendation would be a crop from right, balancing with the left edge distance of the leafed tree's outer periphery and then cloning out the remaining right side tree.

I guess that all depends upon your classification of this image as Art or Documentation or irregardless of such definitions you may not clone out distracting elements at all (referring to: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/84463-Ethics-in-Digital-Photography) as I note reading you ethics statement on your website Roger.

Not trying to put you on the spot :w3 just being sensitive to your own personal ethics.

So back to my recommendation, as presented wonderfully executed for the reasons mentioned and yes this belongs in landscape.:c3:

Harshad Barve
06-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Serengeti sunrise are special indeed
Well seen and captured Roger , excellent
TFS

Steve Bein
06-02-2011, 02:01 AM
A great image and well thought out. I tend to agree with Robert's comment about the lesser tree on the right, but regardless, this is outstanding

Jay Gould
06-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Landscapes, birds.............my wall!!

What a wonderful image. I agree that I would crop from the right too.

How long did it take you to shoot the mosaic?

Roger Clark
06-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Landscapes, birds.............my wall!!

What a wonderful image. I agree that I would crop from the right too.

How long did it take you to shoot the mosaic?

Hi Jay,

It took46 seconds. I thought you were going to ask where is the focal point? This is another image that doesn't have a single focal point.

Roger

Roger Clark
06-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Here is a crop. Let me know what you think.

Roger

Dave Mills
06-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Hi Roger, came in a bit late but I agree on the crop and feel the image is alot stronger due to it.. Nice one!

Jay Gould
06-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Now that you have done the crop - which rocks! - I would remove the stick above the bird on the RHS so that nothing from the bird to the top is breaking the magnificent color line. And, since I am not adverse to making even major changes (I remove the Hand of Man when practicable) - disclosed of course - after removing the stick above the bird I would extend the canvass just a little bit to give the bird more room.

Digital Art!

Mosaic: Is it all done manually on a tripod? What is the overlapping technique; just a quick 1/3 horizontal and vertical overlap row by row?

Cheers,

Robert Amoruso
06-02-2011, 05:48 PM
I like the crop Roger and that is where I was thinking of suggesting it.

Roger Clark
06-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Now that you have done the crop - which rocks! - I would remove the stick above the bird on the RHS so that nothing from the bird to the top is breaking the magnificent color line. And, since I am not adverse to making even major changes (I remove the Hand of Man when practicable) - disclosed of course - after removing the stick above the bird I would extend the canvass just a little bit to give the bird more room.

Digital Art!

Mosaic: Is it all done manually on a tripod? What is the overlapping technique; just a quick 1/3 horizontal and vertical overlap row by row?

Cheers,

Hi Jay,
The mosaic was done on a beanbag just moving quickly frame to frame and visually estimating about a 1/3 frame overlap. I had the camera in vertical mode and did 2 rows. The vertical overlap was more than half. I probably won't do any removal of sticks, nor extend the canvas.

Roger

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Hey Roger,
Repost works for me! I think that really portrays the sunrise very nicely.

Andrew McLachlan
06-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Roger, repost works better with the crop. Very nice silhouette!

Marina Scarr
06-05-2011, 08:08 PM
The repost REALLY works. It just needed to be tightened up a little bit. Love the colors and silhouette here. I think it could work in either birds or landscape.