PDA

View Full Version : Gray Treefrog

Andrew McLachlan
05-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Here is a chorusing Gray Treefrog from two nights ago in the pond out back. Positioned myself low in the water and pointed camera upward to get black BG. Actually ended up flooding the chest waders - guess I got a little too low. OOPS!

Cloned out flash generated spectral highlights and cleaned up the cattail stem a little.

Nikon D200
Nikon 105mm micro lens
SB400 on home-made flash bracket
ISO 100
f22 @ 1/60 sec.
Handheld

Look forward to comments.

bhavya joshi
06-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Nice shot Andrew.. Looks like stars in vocal sac. I don't mind the low angle..nice position, Let's wait what other have to say..:S3:

Dave Leroy
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Your efforts had a very handsome payoff. Good for you.

I really like the nice low angle and dof. No evidence of flash to my eye.

The only suggestion I have would be to remove the faint diagonal in lower right.

Dave

Geoff Warnock
06-01-2011, 10:25 AM
really worth the effort, and thanks for sharing the story on how you got it. I wish people would share these kind of details more often as I find them some of the more interesting and useful 'technical' aspects of photography rather than just exposure and focal length.

Mitch Haimov
06-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Excellent work, Andrew! Worth a soaking.

Steve Maxson
06-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Hi Andrew. Well, I'd say that this image was worth a little (or a lot?) water in the waders! You captured a great pose and beautiful colors. I like the diagonal of the stem and the low shooting angle. The black background works well for a night shot. There is no hint of spectral highlights - good job of removing them. Very well done. :cheers:

Linda Dulak
06-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Andrew: So this is what they look like at night? I'm surprised at the green color of the back and legs. He's got a lot of color compared to my gray fellow below. I really like this position and it gives a great look at the throat in full extension.

The water in the waders was worth it all!

Linda

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Hey Andrew,
I think this is excellent and well worth the effort! I might tone down the yellow hind leg just a touch.....but this turned out great!:cheers:

Brendan Dozier
06-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Really, really nice one Andrew! Great work!

Andrew McLachlan
06-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks all for the comments, very much appreciated.