PDA

View Full Version : Snow-in-Summer

Dave Leroy
05-30-2011, 11:10 PM
This is another shot from the backyard. These little flowers are a ground cover which cascades over a little brick wall. In full bloom they measure about 25 to 30mm.
7D, 100mm f/2.8 macro, 1/160, f/11, ISO400, 68mm ET, manual, tripod.

About half of the space from bottom has been cropped to move the little bug down a bit. I also removed bits from two oof little bugs. As well I tidied up some specular highlights but left the one on the little fellow.

Dave

OvidiuCavasdan
05-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Nice light on the bug, good sharpness. Not sure about the water drop. Would have been nice if the lower left petal was all in shade but I think nothing you could do about this....

Allen Sparks
05-31-2011, 04:18 PM
I like the stem coming from the side and the lighting on the bug. Overall the crop suits my taste as well.

Anita Bower
06-01-2011, 02:10 PM
The little bug makes a nice focus point. I understand why you wanted to move the bug down--so it wouldn't be in the center. However, I think the crop is too tight (and I generally like tight crops.) I would add some back to the bottom and, if you can, to the right. This would move the bug far enough to the left so as not to be centered. It would be nice to lighten up the underside of the flower, maybe even the whole image. I think you found a nice angle for this shot.

Mitch Haimov
06-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Very nice, Dave. I, too, would like more light on the bottom of the flower. Crop works fine for me.

Steve Maxson
06-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi Dave. Nice detail on your aphid and it adds interest to the image. I'm OK with the comp, as presented, and I agree that more light on the bottom of the flower would be nice - use of a reflector could help with this. :S3: I would also suggest toning down the bright area in the UL as it is drawing my eye.

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Hey Dave,
I'm with Steve on the overall assesment. If you don't have a reflector.....aluminum foil works in a pinch!