Troy Lim
05-30-2011, 10:46 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2471/5779505622_25056e81d0_b.jpg

Bracketing 1 stop in 9 shots from:
Exposure 0.067 sec (1/15)
Aperture f/16.0
Focal Length 14 mm
ISO 100

Blending them in Photomatrix in 2 versions: One for the sky and one for the foreground, then blend both together.

Nikon D700 + 14-24mm. Hope you like it!
Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Dave Mills
05-31-2011, 08:19 AM
Hi Troy, nice job with the exposure which looks balanced. Your technique works well. Good use of the foreground along with an interesting sky. My preference would have been to move the sun a bit more left...Well handled!

Troy Lim
05-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Hi Troy, nice job with the exposure which looks balanced. Your technique works well. Good use of the foreground along with an interesting sky. My preference would have been to move the sun a bit more left...Well handled!

Dave, thank you. I really want to get better at landscape. I refused to pay over $400 for the 14-24mm filter holder, so I had to go through all these steps to blend the shots.
It is a local spot, I will visit there many times for sure..
Thank you!!!

Dave Mills
05-31-2011, 08:28 AM
Wow, that price is ridiculous.
In the landscape department your doing very well!

Troy Lim
05-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Wow, that price is ridiculous.
In the landscape department your doing very well!

Yes, Lee Filter came out with one, thought i was going to be in the mid $200, but turned out out to be much more.
:) Thank you.

Morkel Erasmus
05-31-2011, 04:03 PM
nicely composed, blended and processed Troy!
my only nit is the strong overall magenta cast, but you were there so if this is what was going down, so be it :e3

Troy Lim
05-31-2011, 04:06 PM
nicely composed, blended and processed Troy!
my only nit is the strong overall magenta cast, but you were there so if this is what was going down, so be it :e3

I will desaturate the magenta...:)

Geoff Warnock
06-01-2011, 10:34 AM
lovely image Troy, nice use of foreground interest.

Robert Amoruso
06-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Troy,

I agree with the comments above but am not finding the FG to be as interesting as the others. I feel the composition is good but find the large square boulder in the FG distracting due to its artificial look (I assume this is a manufactured jetty wall so perhaps the rock is a concrete slab or similar).

In any event, I feel cropping to leave just a triangular tip of this rock showing strengthens the composition.

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Hey Troy,
I'm OK with the FG but do feel it is a bit dark........could be the magenta so will be interested in the repost. I hand hold the 4x6 ND's........no need to get the holder so save the $ and just HH. Given your location.....I really like this!

Troy Lim
06-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Hey Troy,
I'm OK with the FG but do feel it is a bit dark........could be the magenta so will be interested in the repost. I hand hold the 4x6 ND's........no need to get the holder so save the $ and just HH. Given your location.....I really like this!

Roman, thank you. Are you saying you HH it in front of this lens? From what I read it does not work well as it does not completely cut the light out.

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Roman, thank you. Are you saying you HH it in front of this lens? From what I read it does not work well as it does not completely cut the light out.
you have to hold it close. George lepp does the same thing. It works.....you can even lean it against the glass.....gently.

Troy Lim
06-03-2011, 09:51 AM
you have to hold it close. George lepp does the same thing. It works.....you can even lean it against the glass.....gently.

Oh really, thanks for the info.
I guess I have to take a drive out to Mr. Sighn Ray in Arcadia to have him maybe cut a bigger piece of filter.

Troy Lim
06-03-2011, 09:54 AM

I thought he shoots Canon. :)

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Oh really, thanks for the info.
I guess I have to take a drive out to Mr. Sighn Ray in Arcadia to have him maybe cut a bigger piece of filter.
How wide is the glass? The 4x6 Galen Rowell filter is 100mm wide and 150mm long. George is Canon:bg3:.....but you are covering the glass.:w3

Troy Lim
06-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Roman,

It is the one on the right, the hood is the issue, you can press the glass in front of it but still some light will get through.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/14mm/D3S_9190-vs-14-24mm.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Lens hood.......I have to fish mine out of the drawer somewhere:2eyes2:! If you are going WA.....I prefer not to use the hood otherwise vignetting becomes an issue. In most cases......you can use your hand or a hat to cover light if you get flaring.

Troy Lim
06-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Lens hood.......I have to fish mine out of the drawer somewhere:2eyes2:! If you are going WA.....I prefer not to use the hood otherwise vignetting becomes an issue. In most cases......you can use your hand or a hat to cover light if you get flaring.

Hood is not removable. :c3:

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Man that pisses me off when they do that! Use black duct tape (works for everything) around the barrell so that the opening are equal and it blocks out the light. Use a piece inside also.....so it isn't sticky. Then you can use the 4x6 HH and eliminate light bleed w/o the vignetting.

Troy Lim
06-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Man that pisses me off when they do that! Use black duct tape (works for everything) around the barrell so that the opening are equal and it blocks out the light. Use a piece inside also.....so it isn't sticky. Then you can use the 4x6 HH and eliminate light bleed w/o the vignetting.

Will try to be creative :)