PDA

View Full Version : RSH family portrait

daniel valovich
05-30-2011, 06:29 PM
I have been able to photograph this family of red shouldered hawks since mom first sat on the nest. The oldest baby on the left is 4 weeks old and the runt at the bottom
is about a week behind the other two. It has been amazing to watch them grow from a fluff ball to flying in 5 weeks.
They don't object to my being there and often sit overhead.The oldest is now flying and the others soon to follow. It is cool that they will return to the nest after their solo.
The babies have figured out they can scream so they practice a lot. I have kept this place a secret for their benefit.

nikon d300
nikon 300mm f4 d with 1.4 TC
f 5.6
1/60s
iso 400
+1.3 ev

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ddKiCBDNpMo/TdmXWbcI_MI/AAAAAAAAHiY/ogQcrWwTelE/s800/rsh4%2525201009.jpg

John Chardine
05-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Nice to see Daniel. Food must be good because when it's not, the runt in raptor broods is often killed by its siblings ("siblicide"). This is a natural way of reducing brood size to match the particular feeding conditions of the year.

Jeff Cashdollar
05-31-2011, 10:31 AM
What I love about this shot, a picture tells a story and this certainly does - just great. Nice pic given the TC and slow shutter really like this one.

daniel valovich
05-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Food supply has been good and she is a excellent mom. I have watched here bring snakes, mice, lizards, rabbits, and a plentiful supply of cicadas. The cicadas here in arkansas have emerged from there 13 years underground. Sounds like a soundtrack for a science fiction movie.

Jeff Cashdollar
05-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Cicadas everywhere here in Middle Ten too I might post a pic or two. Glad to hear the food supply is healthy and they are doing well.

Just curious, are you in a tree stand and how far away. Thanks for keeping the location secret - well done.

daniel valovich
05-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Cicadas everywhere here in Middle Ten too I might post a pic or two. Glad to hear the food supply is healthy and they are doing well.

Just curious, are you in a tree stand and how far away. Thanks for keeping the location secret - well done.

I was standing on the ground with the tripod about 100 ft away under a dogwood tree.I don't think the parents would have tolerated a ladder or tree stand. They always saw me.
While watching the birds they became excited looking where I was. They had spotted a copperhead which continued on unharrassed by me. amazing eyesight.