PDA

View Full Version : Hanging in there!

Linda Dulak
05-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Several days ago I felt something drop on my head as I went out the front door. Investigating, I found this tree frog who had climbed on the door jam and was dislodged when I went out the door. He quickly jumped up to the side of the house and I spent a lot of time photographing him there. But then I carefully picked him up and transferred him to the rhododendron nearby. And I continued getting interesting images, But then he jumped and landed as you see, hanging on to portions of the rhododendron flowers. He landed for just a minute and then jumped off into the middle of the bush. This was the last image and it's the most interesting of the bunch.

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 105 mm Micro, f9.0, 1/125 sec, ISO 800
Adjustments of levels, curves, removed spent flower residue, sharpened

I hope you enjoy this little one as much as I did! Comments welcome.

Linda

Norm Dulak
05-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi Linda.

I think you have a real jewel here!

The little fellow in this well composed, colorful and sharp (where it needs to be) image is IMO beguiling. I especially like the selective focus that concentrates on the head and front feet, and then gradually trails away toward the rear of the frog. And the graceful curvatures of the leaf on which the frog rests and the plant structures it grasps really make this image for me. :S3:
Very well done. :cheers:

Dave Leroy
05-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Cute little frog and looks quite relaxed. Interesting colours.

I like how you have captured the frog with both a hind foot and a front foot holding a vine/stem.

As noted, sharp where it needs to be and well exposed.

Very well done and good for you to have some fun with it.

Dave

Jerry van Dijk
05-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi Linda, very nice pose and I like how you positioned the sharp area on the frog nicely around the eye. I may consider cropping something off the top, about to where the two OOF leaves in the UR corner intercept. I feel that there is a little too much empty space above the frog.

OvidiuCavasdan
05-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Cute little frog, good sharpness on eye and very nice pose. Looks good against the greens. Nice one.

Allen Sparks
05-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Very nice image. nice eye sharpness and the overall composition works well for me.

Andrew McLachlan
05-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Very nice Linda. Love the color on this one. Gray Treefrogs are one of my favorites. I have been spending many nights shooting them while chorusing - will post one in this forum tonight.

bhavya joshi
06-01-2011, 01:03 AM
My fav. amphibians looks cutey.. well captured..Linda. I also like the frog with holding his leg with a stem, nice pose..

Steve Maxson
06-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi Linda. Tree frogs are very cool and often quite photogenic. You captured this one in a very appealing pose with good sharpness, exposure, and comp. My only wish would be for a little separation between the stem and the eye - that would really take this one over the top! A slight move to the right in the field might have done it, but as you know, these guys don't always hold the perfect pose for more than a few seconds. Still a very nice image as presented! :S3:

Mitch Haimov
06-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Excellent work, Linda! It has all been said above. :5

Linda Dulak
06-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks everyone! I had to chuckle about the suggestion to move to the right. I was sitting with my back up against a blackberry briar (very painful), with a tripod adjusted to the uneven ground and with an active frog. I'm lucky to have gotten the shot, much less think about moving to the right. He had just jumped to this particular leaf and I was lucky to be able to get him in focus without moving. And just after this shot was taken, the frog made a very quick escape deep into the shrub, not to be found again. We have to take the shot as we get them and hope for the best with critters that are on the move. I was lucky that this was the best shot of the day!

Linda

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey Linda,
Thanks for the follow up too! I like the idea of crop off the top....but I do believe he meant the ULC leaves intersect. As mentioned above.....focus is where it needed to be and in this case.....the falloff adds to the appeal. Very nicely done!

Linda Dulak
06-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Thanks Roman. Yes, I think I agree that a crop from the top and perhaps some removal of the bright leaves in the ULC might make for a better composition.

Linda

Jerry van Dijk
06-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Ooops! I indeed did mean the ULC leaves. Sorry for the confusion, but you figured it out anyway :e3