PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly nymph

Steve Maxson
05-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Another Dragonfly nymph photographed in my aquarium setup. This one has a different body shape than the Darner dragonfly nymphs I've been posting recently. I need to work more on my ID skills for some of these, but I think this is one of the Skimmers (Family Libellulidae). 40D, 100 mm macro, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, MT-24EX macro twin flash (diffused), tripod, cable release. I removed small bits of floating debris in the water and toned down the brightest areas of the bladderwort plant. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Dave Leroy
05-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Very well done Steve.
I really like the pose you have captured with all parts showing and in focus.

It is quite amazing how intricate it all is.

Dave

Roy Priest
05-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Steve, love the eyes and the contrast between the BG and the nymph. May not be scientific but as a flyfisher I would call this a gomphus.

Jerry van Dijk
05-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi Steve, very nice and sharp. I like how you handled the busy surroundings of the nymph. I would be in favour of a closer crop, though. Based on the short and blunt abdomen, my bet is on the Libellulidae family, but I've never tied flies......:S3:.

OvidiuCavasdan
05-31-2011, 02:46 PM
I like the pose and composition. Nice details and I like a lot the plant. Excellent image.

Steve Maxson
05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the comments folks.

Roy - I'm still learning these nymphs and I can't always see the key characteristics in a photo. :S3: After reviewing some of my reference materials, I don't think this is a gomphus (Family Gomphidae - Clubtails) - for several reasons. Gomphids have a flat labium (this one is spoon shaped), a very thick segment 3 on the antennae (this one is narrow), and typically a more tapering abdomen (this one is rather blunt). I'm learning this material as I type this and your comment led me to increase my knowledge a little more. :S3:

Allen Sparks
05-31-2011, 04:23 PM
wow - wonderful! love the details captured and the natural looking setting. very well done.

Andrew McLachlan
05-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Steve, another great shot. Love the comp and the plantlife. Very natural looking set-up.

bhavya joshi
06-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Great shot.. Nice details and I like the position of this dragon..looks great.:c3:

Mitch Haimov
06-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Another excellent nymph image, Steve! The bladderwort makes a fine BG in this one, and your subject reminds me of a cricket.

Roman Kurywczak
06-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Hey Steve,
That is quite the set-up and you are getting great results!!! While I too generally prefer tighter crops.....in this case I feel if you lose the bit of open water space in the LLC....it might seem that the bug is too out of place.....so I would keep it as is. Another winner for sure and thanks for the ID lessons!