PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Tribute

Roger Clark
05-29-2011, 03:49 PM
I made this image on a rainy night in January 2010.
It seemed appropriate that I should process it for this weekend.

Canon 1D Mark II, 28-135 mm IS lens at
20 mm, f/11, 30 seconds manual exposure (IS off) at ISO 200.
The person at the wall is a self portrait.
Some minor brightening in lab mode on the lightness channel.
Full image, no crop.

Higher quality jpeg is here:
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.washington_dc/web/vietnam.memorial.01.21.2010.img_1905.c-1000.html

Roger

</pre>

dankearl
05-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Very moving beautiful photo.
The color is and the lighting is perfect.
I would have liked the persons silhouette to be in focus.
The mood is great, thanks for posting it.

Dave Mills
05-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Hi Roger, well handled technically. Good use of leading lines and thoughtfully framed. I even like the inclusion of the flagpole on the far left. Wet pavement has a way of adding another dimension to the image when lit well and works here.
My first reaction to the image was a strong one but I too have some reservations regarding the OOf figure. For my taste I would have wanted to see the silhouette sharp. Overall well done...

Roman Kurywczak
05-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey Roger,
Interestingly enough I don't mind the OOF figure! to me....it adds to the mood. I do think toning down the brightest highlights near the reflection of the figure and perhaps darkening the reflection a few points will really make this shine. I think this works very well!

Roger Clark
05-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Hi Roger, well handled technically. Good use of leading lines and thoughtfully framed. I even like the inclusion of the flagpole on the far left. Wet pavement has a way of adding another dimension to the image when lit well and works here.
My first reaction to the image was a strong one but I too have some reservations regarding the OOf figure. For my taste I would have wanted to see the silhouette sharp. Overall well done...

Dave, Dan,

The person in the silhouette is me. I purposely moved during the exposure to make a ghostly figure. It was a 30 second exposure and I set the shutter to the long delay, ran over to the spot, then moved during the exposure. I wanted the ghostly appearance for the mood.

Roger

Robert Amoruso
05-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Overall, I like how this turned out Roger. I think you succeeded in capturing your vision.

Compositionally, I would have preferred if you had stood in a different location so that your reflection did not have the tree reflection growing out of your head.

Roger Clark
05-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Overall, I like how this turned out Roger. I think you succeeded in capturing your vision.

Compositionally, I would have preferred if you had stood in a different location so that your reflection did not have the tree reflection growing out of your head.

Robert,
Exactly! That was my thought about the image, and I was surprised no one brought that up before.
It is interesting how people see different things.

Roger

Roger Clark
05-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Here is a redo. I reduced some of the highlights, and darkened the reflection to minimize the impact of the trees coming out of the head. No one mentioned the reflection of the flag, so I emphasized that.

Roger

Roman Kurywczak
05-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey Roger,
You know what........while I think the highlights toned down a touch work....I like the reflection in the OP.....tree and all best! For me it adds to the overall look. I know you don't like messing with images.....so just toning down the highlights would work best for me. Like I said.....very powerful image overall IMO.

Harshad Barve
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Very powerful image indeed
TFS

Layton E Parham
06-04-2011, 07:06 PM
It brings back good memories of several young friends, lost to the wall. Thank You

Sidharth Kodikal
07-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Fantastic image, Roger.
A very strong image that I stared at for a long time.
Amongst other things mentioned, I also like the [what looks like] a light trail from a plane.
Having never done any night photography - how did you come up with the exposure time of 30 secs? I assume it's guess-and-check based?

Roger Clark
07-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Fantastic image, Roger.
A very strong image that I stared at for a long time.
Amongst other things mentioned, I also like the [what looks like] a light trail from a plane.
Having never done any night photography - how did you come up with the exposure time of 30 secs? I assume it's guess-and-check based?

Thank you Sidharth,

In city night photography, I've found low ISO and 15 to 30 seconds arounf f/8 to f/11 usually makes a nice image, so I try exposures around that and adapt to local conditions from there.

Roger

Sidharth Kodikal
07-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the info Roger.
I will try it some day.