PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World

Dave Leroy
05-29-2011, 10:27 AM
The little bug seems to be inviting us in.
7D, 100mm f/2.8 macro, 68mm ET's, 1/125, f/8, ISO400.

I used a reflector to get a bit more light coming up from bottom. Cropped vertical from a horizontal and then a bit more all around. I also removed some high lights here and there and toned down a few spots. I also shortened up a few spikes which were intersecting with the little insect.

Dave

Roman Kurywczak
05-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Hey Dave,
While in general I prefer more DOF.....I find I like this one very much comp wise and it is sharp where it need to be! I do think a crop off the right (eliminating the brightest area mid frame) and proportionally off the top would strengthen the image......but you may just try toning down the area first and see if that does the trick. I think you handled this well and did a very good job overall!

Norm Dulak
05-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Hi Dave.

Your little insect seems to be poised over a deep, glowing canyon, and I find it fascinating. Roman's crop suggestions may be good, but I'd keep that glow. I wouldn't tone it down, but that's just my view.

Anyway, I like it as it is!

Dave Leroy
05-30-2011, 11:00 PM
I had debated the brighter area Roman referred to as well as the little knobby area near the top.
Here is a crop removing the two spots.

Thanks for the comments Roman and Harold. They are always useful.

Dave

Jerry van Dijk
05-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Hi Dave, I like the mood of this image, with the light as a major strong point. Compositionwise I'm not sure yet. I tend to feel that the little fellow is a bit too lost in it's alien world.

OvidiuCavasdan
05-31-2011, 02:41 PM
I like "his" world:S3:, very interesting image, well seen and captured. I like the light/shadows. Repost even better.

Steve Maxson
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi Dave. This really conveys a "little bug in a BIG world" mood! I like that the bug is sharp and stands out nicely against the bright background - it is clearly the focal point of the image. I think I prefer the comp of the OP. The repost, while also nice, seems to lose a little of the BIG world feel. A little cloning would likely take care of the two areas you cropped out in your repost. :S3: Overall, this is well done.

Geoff Warnock
06-01-2011, 10:29 AM
I too prefer the original, and really like the sense of scale you present. Truly and alien world

Norm Dulak
06-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I too think that the larger scale of the OP is much better.

Dave Leroy
06-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I have gone back to the original and tidied up the two spots. which I had originally thought about doing and then backed off.

Dave

Brendan Dozier
06-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Very cool and nicely scene, Dave. Like the dramatic lighting on this, the insect looks like its leaping across a great canyon.