View Full Version : Early Morning at Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains

Jay Sheinfield
05-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Nikon D3s
102mm
ISO 400
1/1000
Free hand

Slight adjustment on detail using TOPAZ Simplify. Crop top and bottom. Some removal of distracting tree leaves left side.

Comments welcome...........

Dave Mills
05-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Hi Jay, I already commented on this in OOTB.

Roman Kurywczak
05-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Hey Jay,
If you can tame the highlights in the sky.....that will go a long way in improving the image IMO. I wonder if you added to much contrast here? I like the lines and the layer of fog......but it does need some tweaking.....perhaps in the leaves of the tree? I think this one will work with some tweaking.

Robert Amoruso
05-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Jay,

This is what I did in Photoshop.

1) Levels correction and using black dropper (set at B:12% for RGB: 31) clicked on large tree truck. This makes the fence posts clip to black by I liked the added dimension of getting a truer black in the image.

2) Levels correction and using white dropper (set at B: 94% for RGB: 240) clicked on brightest cloud white to tone them down.

3) Reverse s-curve and to lower whites and increase blacks. Decrease whites helps to give the image a nicer misty/foggy tone.

4) Masked s-curve correction to FG road and grass to lighten it. I used Curves correction, and lightened preset tweaked to liking and then painted over the scene in black alone the road FG.

The difference is subtle but noticeable when you toggle it on and off.

Jay Sheinfield
05-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks folks....good feedback.

Roman, I'm thinking your suggestion on the sky will apply to the OOTB version.

Robert, I really appreciate you taking the time to fine tune and then give the explanation.

Harshad Barve
06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Jay

One road I would love to walk , well seen and captured , Robert's re-post took this over the top
TFS