PDA

View Full Version : So This Is Love?

Norm Dulak
05-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Lately, I've spend my early mornings with my camera set up on a tripod near our weeping cherry trees, watching our purple martins. When they're not busy building their nests in one of the four apartment buildings we provide for them, they enjoy perching in the cherry trees.

This morning, a young male martin attempted to mate with a young female, with the result shown here. I don't know what the flying bystander was trying to do, but this scene is not nearly as ominous as it seems. The action ended as quickly as it began, and nobody was harmed.

Norm

Jeff Cashdollar
05-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Nice moment in nature shot Norm. I have witnessed many courtships that seemed harsh - such is nature.

John Chardine
05-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Interesting capture Norm. Bystanders often seem very interested in copulations and will sometimes physically interfere with the pair. There are many possible reasons for this and it is not possible to generalise.

Norm Dulak
05-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks Jeff & John.

I'll keep posting what I think are images of interesting bird behavior if you keep drawing from your experiences to tell me what you think!