PDA

View Full Version : Glow from within

Roman Kurywczak
05-28-2011, 01:09 PM
From a recent shoot at a friends nursery. I am always looking for new lighting ideas so as usual.....flashlights come out. This flower had the perfect shape to light from underneath and within. It reminded me of a chinese lantern! My MT24 twin lights powered down to 1/64 power opened up the face. I wanted to keep it dark in order to show the glow more.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro HH at f22 for 1/125 sec at ISO 800. Flashlight shined underneath to light the inside of the flower.

Jerry van Dijk
05-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Hi Roman, very nice Datura flower! The image looks a little too "flashy" to my taste, I can hardly see the glow from within. I would lighten up the dark areas to counterweight those flash catchlights. Perhaps also a little more saturation?

Norm Dulak
05-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi Roman.

On balance, this is nice. :S3:

But I agree with Jerry that what almost seem like specular highlights on the surface should be toned down (or cloned out) if possible. At the same time, I think that the UR part of the image should be brightened a bit, to make it more visible. And I also unfortunately don't see much of a glow from within.

Norm Dulak
05-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi again, Roman.

I don't know whether this will work for you, but what I've done is to simply take your op into PS CS5, remove some of the specular highlights with the healing tool, and brighten the overall image using a gentle nudge on the levels middle slider. For me, this produces more of an inner glow.

I'm not sure this is exactly what you would want but think it is a step in the right direction.

Roman Kurywczak
05-28-2011, 05:32 PM
I like it Norm! Something was bothering me about the image......I think that did the trick. Thanks!

Mitch Haimov
05-28-2011, 09:40 PM
I also find the OP too dark overall, Roman, and really don't see the glow--it simply appears flashed. I do prefer Norm's repost, but it still doesn't really appear to be lit from within to me (not that it needs to). Perhaps you need a brighter flashlight? I also think the composition would be stronger if you crop about a half inch from the top.

bhavya joshi
05-29-2011, 02:34 AM
I also refer..Norm Re-post.. I think First image looks dull to me.. little more lights to flower can give more
strength.. as per my knowledge..but nice composition..:S3:

Dave Leroy
05-29-2011, 10:10 AM
I really like the idea and plant/flower looks like an excellent candidate for it.

Repost adds a lot and makes flower pop more.

Good eyes on the specular highlights. I would not have noticed them.

Dave

Steve Maxson
05-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Hi Roman. I, too, thought the OP was a bit on the dark side so I like the increased brightness of Norm's repost. Removal of the specular highlights has also removed much of the detail in that part of the flower - perhaps an hour or two of careful cloning would work better? :S3: Otherwise, good sharpness, DOF, and comp - and kudos for creativity with the flashlight.

OvidiuCavasdan
05-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Nice subject and composition. I like the dark but not solid black BG. The OP looks flashed to me also and I think Norm's repost is better.

Anita Bower
06-01-2011, 05:00 PM
This glowing flower against the dark background looks lovely. I am especially drawn to the intricate curves and points at the bottom. which show up beautifully. You chose a nice angle. I think removal of the specular highlights is a good move. The original image could be brightened up a tiny bit, but not as much as Norm's version.