PDA

View Full Version : Cimmerian Sunset

Judy Howle
05-26-2011, 11:26 PM
HDR processed with Nik HDR Efex and Topaz Adjust and a hint of Topaz Clean.

Kerry Perkins
05-27-2011, 01:59 AM
Hi Judy, was this a multiple exposure HDR? It's a very nice sunset image but I'm not sure I'm seeing the dynamic range expansion. It seems to me that the features on the shore would be more visible, but maybe I'm just thinking too narrowly about the effect. Definitely like the image a lot! That little touch of the Clean filter really adds something. Maybe I've been looking at too many images, but I think the cloud group in the lower left looks like a bird in flight. :c3:

denise ippolito
05-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Judy, I love the clouds and the dramatic effect you achieved. The sun is well placed in the frame and the colors are lovely.:S3:

Judy Howle
05-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi Judy, was this a multiple exposure HDR? It's a very nice sunset image but I'm not sure I'm seeing the dynamic range expansion. It seems to me that the features on the shore would be more visible, but maybe I'm just thinking too narrowly about the effect. Definitely like the image a lot! That little touch of the Clean filter really adds something. Maybe I've been looking at too many images, but I think the cloud group in the lower left looks like a bird in flight. :c3:
Thanks Kerry. Yes it really is a 3 image HDR. I guess my processing made it darker. I'll reprocess it and see what it looks like. I had processed that one last summer and just tweaked it before posting it. I boosted the contrast with Photoshop contrast adjustment and the color a bit with Topaz Adjust and then added the Clean on a duped layer and lowered opacity to about 50%.

Indranil Sircar
05-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Another dramatic sky, Judy. I love the colors and and the complete sun. Kerry has a point on the dynamic range... and most likely from the processing.

Mark Fuge
05-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Nice image and application, Judy.

Not and expert at HDR, for sure, but maybe a 5 exposure one would give more range in this case, due to the darkness of the scene. Again, just a thought, not a know it statement! That is why I am not posting this week. Haven't gotten into that yet! :e3 :w3

Anita Bower
05-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Wonderful GLOW in this image!! Beautiful light, colors, composition. I like the light falling off on the right side.

Maureen Allen
05-28-2011, 02:27 AM
This is lovely. 5 images might have helped to bring out the shoreline a bit, but whenever I do HDR sunsets with 5 or 7 images, the sun starts to look very funky. Yours is beautiful.

Judy Howle
05-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments! I intended to re-process the original image but haven't had time. I believe I processed this with Photomatix as it was made in July and HDR Efex didn't come out till August and I probably used the tone compressor method instead of detail enhancer. (I think those names are correct, as I haven't used it since getting HDR Efex.)

Andrew McLachlan
05-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Judy, this is a lovely sunset with the sun well placed within the comp. If it were mine I might consider cloning out the boathouses on the far shore. Nice work!