PDA

View Full Version : storm clouds over indian ocean

peter delaney
05-26-2011, 09:23 AM
I always enjoy winter seascapes... Big storms ,big clouds,high seas, ... got a bit of a soaking getting this image yesterday!

I also am trying out a new landscape workflow...

D3S 14-24mm tripod,ball head. 15 sec s f22 iso 100

dankearl
05-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Nice, it almost looks HDR.
I would have more water and less sky, the clouds don't add much and the rocks and water are very nice.

Dave Mills
05-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi Peter,I feel the comp is well framed. I looked at cropping a bit off the top but decided to leave it. I felt the sky needed more definition so i selected it and applies S/H to that section. Then I inversed the selection and applied the same adj to the bottom but at a different strength.
I didn't do a saturation adj so I'm not sure if the rocks are actually that color. If not that can easily be adjusted. That 15 sec exposure certainly gave the water a soft look.
Interesting image!

Roman Kurywczak
05-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Hey Peter,
I actually like stormy skies.....so comp works for me. I do think Dave brought it up a notcch with a few tweaks but I do wonder if you could tone down the water a touch....somewher in between the OP and the repost by Dave. Just an option to consider.

Robert Amoruso
05-30-2011, 04:41 PM
I like Dave's tweak and took it to try a difference crop - ROT with the FG cropped out.

I then used Shadow/Highlight in Photoshop to open up rock shadows more and increased mid-tone contrast to make the clouds more dramatic.

I am AOK with the amount of sky.

Morkel Erasmus
05-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Peter, I like the silky water and the lines of water motion in your OP...I do agree that the rocks need a slight "opening up" and that the clouds could use some "punch" (selective LCE usually does the trick for me there).