PDA

View Full Version : Osprey landing

Randy Rimland
05-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Shot on Lake Norman North Carolina from my boat
D300 + 300vr + 1.7TC
f/6.3; 1/2000,iso640,ev=0

http://www.carolina-sportsphotography.com/photos/i-z7Fpksm/0/XL/i-z7Fpksm-XL.jpg

Steven Kersting
05-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Nice.
It would be better if it were looking up a little more but....

I would rotate it and tweak it a bit for a little more symmetry.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=93926&d=1306417601

rotated, warped, saved at 85% to meet size requirements here.

Randy Rimland
05-26-2011, 09:02 AM
i am new here and I guess I am old school but please don't repost my images without at least asking 1st.

thanks for your understanding

and btw your repost has ruined the sharpness of the image, especially the bird's face

Dan Brown
05-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Hi Randy. I like your original post. It is a little soft but ok IMO. I would try to rotate it a bit though. The repost did soften the bird.

BTW, assuming that you are a registered participant here, you have agreed to allow download and modification of your images for critiquing. See below guideline rule # 6.

6. By posting images to BPN you give the BPN staff, users and members permission to download and modify any image submitted for critiquing. The sole purpose for downloading an image is so that it can be modified for instructional purposes only and then be re-posted in the original thread. The photographer is the copyright owner and retains all rights. Modified images may not be used for any purpose other than for instructional use at BPN.

Randy Rimland
05-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Hi Randy. I like your original post. It is a little soft but ok IMO. I would try to rotate it a bit though. The repost did soften the bird.

BTW, assuming that you are a registered participant here, you have agreed to allow download and modification of your images for critiquing. See below guideline rule # 6.

6. By posting images to BPN you give the BPN staff, users and members permission to download and modify any image submitted for critiquing. The sole purpose for downloading an image is so that it can be modified for instructional purposes only and then be re-posted in the original thread. The photographer is the copyright owner and retains all rights. Modified images may not be used for any purpose other than for instructional use at BPN.

thx Dan, i didn't realize i agreed to that:S3:

Jim Neiger
05-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Hi Randy,

I like Steve's idea of rotating slightly. I like the wing position and the Osprey's eyes. I wish the talons were extended and that the Osprey was looking up a bit more. The image appears slightly soft. This can be fixed by applying a little more USM. The whites on the Osprey seem to have a slight blue grey cast. I think this can be improved with a small curves adjustment. Finaly a small increase in saturation would help bring out the yellow eyes a bit more. If you would like, I can repost your image with the changes I have suggested.

Randy Rimland
05-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi Randy,

I like Steve's idea of rotating slightly. I like the wing position and the Osprey's eyes. I wish the talons were extended and that the Osprey was looking up a bit more. The image appears slightly soft. This can be fixed by applying a little more USM. The whites on the Osprey seem to have a slight blue grey cast. I think this can be improved with a small curves adjustment. Finaly a small increase in saturation would help bring out the yellow eyes a bit more. If you would like, I can repost your image with the changes I have suggested.

sure, I would appreciate seeing your take on it..... thanks Steve

Jim Neiger
05-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Here is my take on it.

Stu Bowie
05-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Randy, cool landing posture. Steven's rotation, and Jim's tweaks have taken this up a level. All the folk on this site are more than willing to share their knowledge, and we all learn from each other. Over time, Im sure you will be helping newer members on the site without even thinking about it. Keep them coming. :w3

Randy Rimland
05-26-2011, 11:45 AM
thanks guys

colincarter
05-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Nice.
It would be better if it were looking up a little more but....

I would rotate it and tweak it a bit for a little more symmetry.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=93926&d=1306417601

rotated, warped, saved at 85% to meet size requirements here.

Sorry Stephen but you actually runied it, Randy's original was alot sharper than your effort and your other "enhancements" are so minimal that its nit picking really.

Troy Lim
05-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Randy, nice to see you post on here.

Jim's repost takes it up another notch. Great catch!!

Steven Kersting
05-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Sorry Stephen but you actually runied it, Randy's original was alot sharper than your effort and your other "enhancements" are so minimal that its nit picking really.

Yes, the sharpness is down.... I'm working from a downloaded Jpeg and also often have to reduce the resolution in order to meet the size requirements for hosting here (I think this was at 80%). I could do "better" if I hosted them myself but I don't want to do that.

I'm not trying to provide the "final image", just an idea of what I would do if it were mine (and I could work from the RAW/original).