PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owl Coming In For A Prey

Troy Lim
05-25-2011, 05:14 PM

This was taken from the past weekend, not from the same series I have posted last week. Thanks to a fellow photographer's comment which gave me this idea and help from my friend, we were able to capture this shot. Note, this time, it is a setup.

Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1600)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 400 mm
ISO Speed 800
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash No Flash

Don Lacy
05-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Wonderful image Troy, really like the angel wings and the defiant last stand of the Anole.

Arthur Morris
05-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Nicely done but do realize that many would not like the set-up once you describe it in detail....

Troy Lim
05-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Nicely done but do realize that many would not like the set-up once you describe it in detail....

Yes I do understand that Artie.
I rather to say it this way than having someone accused me of something I did not do.
Personally, I do not do this often and have no problems with baiting as long as it is not done excessively.

Dan Brown
05-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Yes I do understand that Artie.
I rather to say it this way than having someone accused me of something I did not do.
Personally, I do not do this often and have no problems with baiting as long as it is not done excessively.

A good idea to get it out and over with Troy, IMO. I've never done this but I know it is not something new! Lots of northern Owl species, Spotted and Barred Owl shots out there are the result of baiting, and it's been done of many years! Love the wings up BTW!

Duane Noblick
05-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Ethics aside I like the wing up position as well and only wish we could see both eyes....not taking anything away from the image itself (I would love an opportunity like this).

Arthur Morris
05-25-2011, 07:30 PM
One look at the image and most folks know that this is a baited image and I am assuming live bait. That is where many would draw the line. I don't do it but I do not condemn those who do. And it is ALWAYS better to tell the truth up front.

Troy Lim
05-25-2011, 07:30 PM
A good idea to get it out and over with Troy, IMO. I've never done this but I know it is not something new! Lots of northern Owl species, Spotted and Barred Owl shots out there are the result of baiting, and it's been done of many years! Love the wings up BTW!

Thank you, Dan.

Ethics aside I like the wing up position as well and only wish we could see both eyes....not taking anything away from the image itself (I would love an opportunity like this).

I like that Ethics aside :) Yes, I agree both eyes would be even better.

Troy Lim
05-25-2011, 07:33 PM
One look at the image and most folks know that this is a baited image and I am assuming live bait. That is where many would draw the line. I don't do it but I do not condemn those who do. And it is ALWAYS better to tell the truth up front.

Thank you Artie, it is a lizard.

Mike Tracy
05-25-2011, 07:34 PM

Not at all taking up a point with you because I know you have lured birds in through various means, stated so and so have I. I also know of several members who post who never disclose their methods.

This forum asks for disclosure and Troy was forthright. If folks don't agree with the means to the end thats their right. But the discussion should be centered around the image itself.

Nicely done but it seems to have too yellowish of a hue through out.

Arthur Morris
05-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Mike, I am thinking that my comment here was not at all out of bounds.... The fact that live bait was used has everything to do with the image. And I am not sure where you come off telling me what I should be talking about.

As you very well know I have always been an advocate in truth in posting.

Daniel Cadieux
05-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the disclosure Troy, and you got yourself a wonderful image with it.

Danny J Brown
05-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Reminds me of duck hunters in Ernest Hemingway novels who used a live duck as a decoy. They did pretty well until the method became illegal in the U.S. I still try to "pish" birds down from the treetops sometimes so I can't criticize! To each his own, I suppose.

Mike Tracy
05-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Mike, I am thinking that my comment here was not at all out of bounds.... The fact that live bait was used has everything to do with the image. And I am not sure where you come off telling me what I should be talking about.

As you very well know I have always been an advocate in truth in posting.

I was typing my response while you were I guess.

Your comment was not out of bounds.

How one attracts their subject wether its alive, vocaliztion or frozen is all the same in the end. We are trying to out smart our "prey" to bring them closer for our own purposes. Diferent species respond to different methods. Throwing a live mouse to a snowy owl is no different then tossing frozen bait fish to pelicans. They both were used and harvested to advance mans needs whether it be fishing or feeding a pet snake.

Im not coming off telling you anything. I agreed with you but when dealing with folks sometimes who dont fully concur with your stance you dont see the forest for the trees.

I gave you full credit about truth in posting.

Marina Scarr
05-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Hi Troy:

I love this image. The BG is lovely. I love the FG yellow flowers. The outstretched wings are great and it's nice that you can see the prey. Yes, it would be nice if you could see a bit more of the eye, but all things considered, it's a great capture.

It seems you feel that I accused you in a previous post of baiting a Burrowing Owl. I did not accuse, Troy, I asked you whether it had been baited. A question is not automatically an accusation.

Congrats on this capture.

Arthur Morris
05-25-2011, 08:35 PM
I was typing my response while you were I guess.

Your comment was not out of bounds.

How one attracts their subject wether its alive, vocaliztion or frozen is all the same in the end. We are trying to out smart our "prey" to bring them closer for our own purposes. Diferent species respond to different methods. Throwing a live mouse to a snowy owl is no different then tossing frozen bait fish to pelicans. They both were used and harvested to advance mans needs whether it be fishing or feeding a pet snake.

Im not coming off telling you anything. I agreed with you but when dealing with folks sometimes who dont fully concur with your stance you dont see the forest for the trees.

I gave you full credit about truth in posting.

Mike. Sorry if I misunderstood what you wrote.

Mike Tracy
05-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Mike. Sorry if I misunderstood what you wrote.

Fair enough. Lets move forward.

Troy Lim
05-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Hi Troy:

I love this image. The BG is lovely. I love the FG yellow flowers. The outstretched wings are great and it's nice that you can see the prey. Yes, it would be nice if you could see a bit more of the eye, but all things considered, it's a great capture.

It seems you feel that I accused you in a previous post of baiting a Burrowing Owl. I did not accuse, Troy, I asked you whether it had been baited. A question is not automatically an accusation.

Congrats on this capture.

Thank you Marina.
I appreciate it. I read too much into it.

Dumay de Boulle
05-26-2011, 01:37 AM
I like this a lot...Great wing position and exposure....I love the overall color as it looks like the light was giving off the golden glow....A fine image !

Kiran Poonacha
05-26-2011, 02:54 AM
Beautiful Troy, its nicely done. loved the moment captured.

Talking about baiting, It somehow does not work in India. any tips from experts..

june skywell
05-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Lovely image. I have one question though; how do you keep the lizard in place? Assuming it is alive, would it not try to seek cover instead of sitting there waiting for you to take the shot?

Arthur Morris
05-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Not positive but in most cases they are tied down with monofilament fishing line. Great fun unless you are the lizard.

Troy Lim
05-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Not positive but in most cases they are tied down with monofilament fishing line. Great fun unless you are the lizard.

There was no fishing line used.

june skywell
05-30-2011, 07:44 PM
There was no fishing line used.

That's great, but you still didn't disclose WHAT you did to actually keep the animal in place.

If a lizard were warm, there is NO way it would sit idle while the owl swoops in to catch it. Would it? So I am still kindly asking what exactly did you do to keep the lizard there until such time the owl realized the prey was there to take?

Thomas Finnie
06-01-2011, 05:09 AM
I didn't know this was a staged photo but it is surely an excellent image and thanks for sharing.