PDA

View Full Version : A LITTLE MERGANSER ACTION , PART 2

gary ellwein
05-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Nikon D3s, Nikkor 200-400mm, 1.4TC (not included in part 1 info), f9.0, 1/800, iso 400. Tried to tone down the whites and sharpened. More seperation in this image.

Gary

Joe Brown
05-25-2011, 05:05 PM
I find this one much better than your previous post. Very nice crop. Good exposure and whites.
Well done.

Joe

John Chardine
05-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Great "feeding frenzy" action Gary. Well done for capturing the action. This is a really difficult bird in harsh light and I think you did pretty well with the exposure. Too bad the birds weren't angled towards you but you take what you can get in unique situations like this. I assume the one bird is trying to steal the fish from the other. If so this is called "kleptoparasitism", and I didn't know mergs did it!

wendell westfall
05-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Gary, nice . . . much better story than before . . . and I like the crop. Interesting capture!

jack williamson
05-26-2011, 06:38 AM
Much better seperation here Gary. The first shot was so chaotic that I had to study the image for a bit

just to discern what was happening.

Jack

Tom Redd
05-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Add my vote to this one over the first post, much nicer. TFS

gary ellwein
05-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Great "feeding frenzy" action Gary. Well done for capturing the action. This is a really difficult bird in harsh light and I think you did pretty well with the exposure. Too bad the birds weren't angled towards you but you take what you can get in unique situations like this. I assume the one bird is trying to steal the fish from the other. If so this is called "kleptoparasitism", and I didn't know mergs did it!

I'll wrap up the mergansers with this image. The guy in front got the fish. Kleptoparasitism, got to uncork this one at the next cocktail party.

Gary