PDA

View Full Version : Reflections In a Green Cathedral

Norm Dulak
05-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Nikon D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm vrII lens @ 58mm, HH
ISO 640; f/11, 1/160 Sec HH
MM -0.67
PP: CR5 CR Luminance NR, levels and curves, smart sharpen

On a recent birding trip with a local group, I found no interesting birds close enough to capture with my camera. But at one point we rested beside a quiet stream that I thought was beautiful.

What impresses me most about this image are the graceful curving of the flanking trees toward the sky in a way that suggests to me the walls of a magnificent natural cathedral, the cool green colors, and the reflections in the water.

When the hot and humid days of summer descend upon my Maryland home I may well immerse myself in this image, as a source of cool refreshment.

Norm

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey Norm,
Well...I can appreciate you feelings towards this image because you were there and can tie in to the emotions you had that day.....but this one isn't working for me for a few reasons. I can see why you are drawn to this as I love streams too.... but the mixed light isn't really bringing all the fine details of the forest. I do think you could work on minimizing that but the snag in the river is my biggest issue because of its location right in the middle of the frame. I do still wonder if an overcast light would have also minimized that. I do like the curves you chose but because of all the distractions.....right now this one doesn't work for me overall.....but let's see what others chime in.

Dave Mills
05-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi Norm, Good points brought out by Roman. First off I like how you framed the scene. I have a tendency to prefer simpler images and find that contrasty light creates a negative effect in this kind of image. As Roman pointed out the snag is also an issue for me. Not only does it break the flow it also adds other shadow reflections that increases the images busyness. This looks like a great fall location...

Norm Dulak
05-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Hey Norm,
Well...I can appreciate you feelings towards this image because you were there and can tie in to the emotions you had that day.....but this one isn't working for me for a few reasons. I can see why you are drawn to this as I love streams too.... but the mixed light isn't really bringing all the fine details of the forest. I do think you could work on minimizing that but the snag in the river is my biggest issue because of its location right in the middle of the frame. I do still wonder if an overcast light would have also minimized that. I do like the curves you chose but because of all the distractions.....right now this one doesn't work for me overall.....but let's see what others chime in.

Thanks Roman.

Your view is interesting and duly noted, but I'm afraid that I must respectfully disagree. :S3:

For me, the snag only adds further interest because of the visual elements radiating from it. And I think this image has substantial value beyond my "emotional" connection with it.

As for the mixed light, I'm afraid we photographers must work with the conditions with which we are presented. But if anyone has ideas on how to better deal with this aspect, please let me know! :t3

Norm

Norm Dulak
05-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi Norm, Good points brought out by Roman. First off I like how you framed the scene. I have a tendency to prefer simpler images and find that contrasty light creates a negative effect in this kind of image. As Roman pointed out the snag is also an issue for me. Not only does it break the flow it also adds other shadow reflections that increases the images busyness. This looks like a great fall location...

Thanks Dave.

Although my initial impressions of this image were entirely favorable, I really appreciate the comments you and Roman have offered and am prepared to adjust my thinking in response. :S3: Such complex images can present problems!

Perhaps moving the snag from the center of the frame as Roman has suggested might help. I'll look into that possibility.

Norm

Norm Dulak
05-26-2011, 04:57 AM
Thanks everyone for looking. And special thanks to Roman and Dave for their comments and suggestions. In the future I'll look for situations without harsh sunlight streaming through the canopy, and without a snag! :S3:

Norm

Robert Amoruso
05-30-2011, 04:48 PM
As for the mixed light, I'm afraid we photographers must work with the conditions with which we are presented.

Norm

Norm,

I agree and disagree with this comment.

I agree because many times I make images in less then idea conditions because I will not return and will not have an opportunity at better conditions - but I do want a record of the visit. However, that limitation does not make a poorly lite scene acceptable.

I disagree in that as an artist I must accept that certain times, the necessary ingredients are not present and as such as much as I like the scene, I have two choices - make it and enjoy it for its personal impact it may have or walk away.

Norm Dulak
05-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Norm,

I agree and disagree with this comment.

I agree because many times I make images in less then idea conditions because I will not return and will not have an opportunity at better conditions - but I do want a record of the visit. However, that limitation does not make a poorly lite scene acceptable.

I disagree in that as an artist I must accept that certain times, the necessary ingredients are not present and as such as much as I like the scene, I have two choices - make it and enjoy it for its personal impact it may have or walk away.

Sorry, Robert, that absolutely no one but me likes this image.

Although I still happen to like it despite its shortcomings, I'll be much more careful in considering images for submission to this forum in the future!

But again, I do appreciate the expert opinions that I have received here, including yours. :S3: