PDA

View Full Version : twos better than one

christopher galeski
05-25-2011, 05:15 AM
took this shot in one of my local woods,have to be quick with these birds,dont stay still long,cannon 7d,400mm cannon prime lens,f5/6,1/400 sec,iso400,tripod.hiding behind tree.comments please,good or bad.thanks.

Geoff Warnock
05-25-2011, 05:59 AM
I really like this one Chris. The diagonal comp, interesting moss on the tree trunk and pose of the bird are great. I imagine many will suggest cleaning up the background to a more uniform colour. I find the OOF branches/reeds complimentary yet a little distracting at the same time. Have you considered brightening the nuthatch a bit to add some 'pop'?

Steve Wasson
05-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Beautiful bird, beautifully composed! Love his perch. I thing the BG is sufficiently OOF to keep focus on the bird, yet communicate his setting. On my laptop, the closest part of his wing seems to lack detail. I'll have to check it out on my good monitor... Great shot!

Phillip Tomkinson
05-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Hi a nice looking image.

Phil.

Bill Dix
05-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Very nice capture. I like the comp, and the perfect Nuthatch pose. I also noticed the lack of detail in a few spots -- don't know if it's DOF or motion blur.

Steve Maxson
05-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi Chris. I like the pose and the 2 seeds add a lot of interest. I also like the diagonal comp and the background - though I would suggest toning down the bright area just below the bird. I, too, am noticing a lack of detail on the bird. The sharpest part of the image appears to be in front of the bird so it may be a DOF issue. You might try some additional selective sharpening on the bird to see if that helps.

christopher galeski
05-25-2011, 10:38 AM
thanks all for your comments,I looked at the original,and its dof,I should have gone for maybe f8,it was on a tripod,so it is not motion blur.thanks again.

Jeff Dyck
05-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Christopher - Are you running noise reduction on the entire image? I am seeing what others have already noted - a lack of detail in the bird. To me, it looks like noise reduction that has been aggressively applied. If so, I suggest masking the the bird & tree trunk and selectively applying your noise reduction to the OOF background only.